Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Christmas Easter egg for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but I've got to side with @steve841 on this one. I know that it's Christmas and you can't argue with making people smile, but I wish they would put the time into fixing problems with the media player and tracking down bugs that cause the display to freeze and require a reboot.

To people who aren't software engineers, it can seem like a little easter egg is a harmless thing and not much work. In fact, new code always increases the risk of unforeseen consequences. It looks like the snow rendering might be new code that isn't simply swapping out one set of graphics for another. And even just loading additional sound and graphic resources increases memory pressure.

While I'm ranting: I tried out the easter egg, and Chuck Berry's "Run Rudolph Run" started blaring from the speakers. No problem, I thought as I reached for the volume control to turn it down. Except the volume control DIDN'T WORK. Once the song starts playing, there seems to be no way to mute it, turn down the volume, or stop it from playing to completion. Not cool. I even turned off the "feature" in desperation and the graphics immediately went back to normal, but the song kept playing at full volume until it came to the end of the sample. Thanks, but I'm never touching that reindeer again.

Rant over; I promise I'm not a grinch (usually). Hope everyone is having a merry Christmas season and a very happy new year! :)