Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Christmas Road Trip 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made it to Tremonton, UT. Was worried about this leg but getting to Twin Falls turned out to be tougher due to wind and rain. Once we got out of the snow storm was easy sailing.

80 mph speed limits really feel crazy. We mostly went slower than that but when it was clear we could make it I speed up.

We slept in Tremonton and drove on to South Salt Lake, UT where there is a Tesla store. Ran into our first other Tesla. Chatted with the owner and found out the store is finally selling cars, used only though.

From there we went to Price, UT & Green River, UT for brief stops at very quiet chargers. Currently stopped in Grand Junction, CO.

Weather has made a turn for the better. Let's hope it holds up. We have some more challenging gaps coming up.

Last edited:
I got a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver. Costco had the Hero 3+ Silver's for fairly cheap and with 2 batteries and the dual battery charger. I've bought another set of batteries so that hopefully I can stay ahead of the power needs for the trip.

I'm using a suction cup mount to put it on my windshield.

I don't know which suction cup mount you purchased, or how you like it. But if you're only so-so on it, you may want to check out this post I made recently in another thread in which I had, literally for months, been trying to find a good phone mount: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-Mount/page9?p=1284507&viewfull=1#post1284507

I wound up being really happy with a Ram suction cup mount system. The stability, as compared to any of the many other things I tried, is phenomenal.

I'm bringing this up here because I too just recently acquired a GoPro, which I haven't even used yet. I picked up one of these Ram attachments, to go with the Ram mount shown in the post above:

Go Pro Mount.jpg

It cost about $10 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G970GX4

I plan to use the Ram mount to mount the GoPro at times. Just thought you might be interested.

I don't know which suction cup mount you purchased, or how you like it.

I'm using the official GoPro one. It is working well.

We've made it through Gleenwood Springs CO & are now in Silverthorne, CO. Had some snow in the pass but not you bad. Hoping to skip Denver and go straight to Limon, CO.

Gleenwood Springs is gorgeous and serious about not having spaces ICE'd.

03255f7dfb684ed7a99564231b9fdb3a.jpg

f1d82b3970b8235d8631ff45df3f4687.jpg

Silverthorne is at StarBucks.
98ecae89b3652cb21b182f51193e915c.jpg

Nice to see the conditions on the road. We're headed from Central Oregon to Central Utah this coming Tuesday. We did a similar trip in late October, but our weather was nice and much warmer. I'm expecting snow on this drive.

We're leaving after work and heading to an overnight stop in Burns (can't make it from Bend to Boise on a charge). From there, its I-84 to I-15 down to the Ritchfield Supercharger, and then we're headed off to the sticks again (have some relatives that live in Antimony, UT, about 40 miles north of Bryce Canyon).

One question, as you went over Snoqualimie, were your headlights on? I've been wondering about icing on the headlights and how severe of a problem that is.

Never got around to writing up more thoughts, but we are on the way home. Made it to Goodland, KS. Had to slow down to 60 most of the way, it is super cold and had a headwind. Want to make it through Vail Pass tonight to avoid incoming weather.

Glad you made it through that stretch with minimal inconvenience! Sixty miles per hour is still twelve miles per hour faster than I. What was your SOC when you departed Hays?

I started out with 92-93% and started out driving 64MPH, reducing it finally to 48 after about 35 miles.

Safe journey home!

Made it to Denver. We decided to stop here done it was really cold and we didn't want to push it.

As far as SOC leaving Hays we charged to 97%. Didn't bother going amok the way to 100%. But did leave with 36% extra estimated energy but arrived with only 4%.

@breser - Based you your experience so far I have a hypothetical question for you: Given what you know, would you ever consider doing your exact trip under the same weather conditions with a 70D?
You could do it but it would be slower. Both because of charge times (tapering) & speeds you could go. I've wondered if I would have bought the 70D if it was available when I ordered. Before this I would have leaned torward yes. Now I'm not so sure. Still don't think the 90 battery is really worth it.

Unrelated to your question car limited A/C in Limon, CO while supercharging. Thought it was a strange thing to do when it was 17° F.

45a3c1da7d4c5df801b8581d02c2f604.jpg

And Denver has snow. Though Interstate is clear and dry.

c7806026750073579448399cb2e469c7.jpg

Made it to Silverthorne, CO. Think the roads are better than on the east on, but it is much colder -1°F. Had issues getting the SuperCharger cable to be accepted by the car. But after trying two spots we found one that worked. Guess third time really is the charm.