Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chromatic sidemirrors - software improvemnts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having the car a week, one thing would improve the car, and in fact it should be easy to offer as a software update.

The chromatic side mirrors works well - almost to well.
When going into reverse, some users have reported that the chromatic side mirrors getting blacked out due to surrounding lights behin the car - it should not be blacked out at all, if in reverse.

Personally I have noticed, when driving in city at night that the chromatic side mirrors black out, as they should, if a car is behind me. This feature will do that you can only spot other cars headlights.
Now Im living in Europe - and we have a lot of bicycles in the city at night.
If a bicycle is coming up from behind, you can not see this in the side mirrors (hope you get the point) as they are blacked out.
Typical this happen if waiting at a red-light while turning right. - When the stop signal turn green, you have to verify no bicycles are there before turning - chromatic side mirrors makes this very difficult.

So please make a software update, make it optional if chromatic should be "always on" (as now) or "adaptive" for the side mirrors.

If in an "adaptive" chromatic mode, the chromatic feature should be disabled while in reverse, and disabled in same side as an active turn signal.

Is this understandable? I’m having difficult to explain in English

So please make a software update, make it optional if chromatic should be "always on" (as now) or "adaptive" for the side mirrors.

If in an "adaptive" chromatic mode, the chromatic feature should be disabled while in reverse, and disabled in same side as an active turn signal.

In my experience Chromatic glass is just that: chromatic glass....... no software involved?! However, I am certainly no expert in the subject and maybe TESLA has some type of liquid crystal glass that they can change at will?! Your call....

I would appreciate the ability to turn it off.... I think I'm getting old! Getting tougher to see at night ....

Actually it is surprising there isn't an override now that you mention it. Personally, I love the feature and would never turn it off, but my wife rarely, if ever uses it... even with cars where you manually flip the mirror to night mode.

To me the most important would be to disable the chromatic feature in the same side witch you have a active turn signal - this way you can verify before lane change or turning. Others at the Norwregian forum have asked about it being disabled while in reverse.
I do hope it would be a simple software fix, and implemented soon.

To me the most important would be to disable the chromatic feature in the same side witch you have a active turn signal - this way you can verify before lane change or turning. Others at the Norwregian forum have asked about it being disabled while in reverse.
I do hope it would be a simple software fix, and implemented soon.

Very elegant solutions.

Does anyone know where the light sensor for the mirrors is? I'd like to play with various filters to see if a good old fashioned mechanical solution can be found while we wait.

BTW, according to the manual the mirrors are NOT supposed to dim while in reverse. I believe this is actually the case, however, it seems to take a good long while for them to become clear once they are dimmed so it's not that obvious on quick changes into/out of reverse.