Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome Add Thread for 2021 M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can we also get a diamond in the back?

1632235093186.png

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3 and Rmchrger
I joined this forum just to add how dissapointed I am that my car arrived without chrome accents. I specifically upgraded the bright silver wheels because my car is blue, and the blue/chrome combo looks pretty timeless. Blue/Black is so MEH - can't even see the accent pieces and gloss black or carbon, doesn't stand out against the dark blue at all. Just gets lost and looks very "base model". Kinda sad :( 2022 Model 3 Long Range in Blue.

I joined this forum just to add how dissapointed I am that my car arrived without chrome accents. I specifically upgraded the bright silver wheels because my car is blue, and the blue/chrome combo looks pretty timeless. Blue/Black is so MEH - can't even see the accent pieces and gloss black or carbon, doesn't stand out against the dark blue at all. Just gets lost and looks very "base model". Kinda sad :( 2022 Model 3 Long Range in Blue.

Totally agree. While my blue/white with 19"s look good... I drool when I see the older blue with the chrome over the window edges. The black gives it a base model fee even though mine is a base model RWD :)

I'd want the chrome of the Model 3 (?) in the background.

Photo Mar 28, 4 16 02 PM.jpg

You can get chrome handles if you install the aftermarket "auto present" or "auto present plus auto door open/close". Otherwise, you can have the handles, glass trim and side mirror trim wrapped. I bought a set of used chrome handles and swapped them out, then sold the black ones on EBAY.
I'm fully aware that wrapping may need renewal in a few years, but I haven't found a set of chrome trim on the used market.. The rearmost window can be exchanged for used when you can find it. The rear window and trim are as one I understand), and you would have to buy the assembly from Tesla. And it is a real bitch to remove and replace.
Tesla has a knack for making some really really stupid decisions, IMHO. And chrome delete was one of the biggies. The black trim looks like crap on a red or a blue car, as do the "Aero" wheel covers. Look at most of the promo pix still in use. Many many red cars with chrome trim.
I am very happy with the Rimetrix silver wheel covers. They are easy to repair to hide curb rash (Of course, I personally have NEVER rubbed a curb. Uh-uh. Not me...).
I'm off to the wrappers next week when I get TGSV back from the body shop. Hit and Run sideswipe on Stemmons Freeway. Fortunately just a new fender and some paint. And a new wheel cover, which I do believe the Rimetrix took one for the team instead of the wheel.

Reactions: danarcha
Anyone know where I can find a chrome add kit for a refreshed M3? Looking for the window trim in chrome.
I found a wrapper in Arlington, TX who is about to wrap my door handles, window and mirror trim in a bright shiny wrap which looks really great. And if you have the 18" wheels, I highly recommend the Rimetrix silver wheel covers. Took several tries to find a car wrap place who would get the silver wrap.

I know this is an older post but I came across a company that is making a silver stainless steel window trim overlay kit.. I actually ordered the gloss black version to cover my chrome trim but figured I would share since they also have a silver version for those wanting to cover their black trim. I haven't received it yet so cant speak to the quality.

I know this is an older post but I came across a company that is making a silver stainless steel window trim overlay kit.. I actually ordered the gloss black version to cover my chrome trim but figured I would share since they also have a silver version for those wanting to cover their black trim. I haven't received it yet so cant speak to the quality.
I am ordering the kit in silver today. I've done the door handles and the side cameras in white, and they are really good looking. In fact, from 10 feet away, you really can't tell the difference. The Rimetrix wheel covers in silver make the 18" wheels look great.
The idea of the "chrome delete" is just plain dumb. It looks like crap on a blue or a red car. Even today, every promo or demo pic or motion picture clip shows a red car with silver trim and wheels. We have white interiors, and the silver and whie really makes the blue and the red cars snap.
Many thanks for the info!

I just wanted to follow up with a buyer beware for this company, they are sketchy business practices, I placed an order with them and was not able to get any response after 8 attemts. Ultimately I had to get PayPal involved to get a refund after 6 weeks. The same products can be purchased from multiple other sources.

• Informative
Reactions: danarcha
I just wanted to follow up with a buyer beware for this company, they are sketchy business practices, I placed an order with them and was not able to get any response after 8 attemts. Ultimately I had to get PayPal involved to get a refund after 6 weeks. The same products can be purchased from multiple other sources.
Rats!. If you have other sources please let me know.
Thanx for the heads up!

Rats!. If you have other sources please let me know.
Thanx for the heads up!
I saw the same parts on taptes.com they seem to be a reliable seller. Also available on ebay.
Here is the link for taptes

I bought a chrome delete kit several months ago, and have yet to install. The more I thought about it I probably won’t, but I still have the kit. It’s a double kit (2 of everything in case you mess up). I’ll probably end up selling it.

I bought a chrome delete kit several months ago, and have yet to install. The more I thought about it I probably won’t, but I still have the kit. It’s a double kit (2 of everything in case you mess up). I’ll probably end up selling it.

Everybody thinks my new 2023 Model S looks bad ass with the black wheels and trim against the red, but secretly I wish it had bright trim with bright silver painted wheels.

Everybody thinks my new 2023 Model S looks bad ass with the black wheels and trim against the red, but secretly I wish it had bright trim with bright silver painted wheels.
Funny. I went from a '20 Model 3 Performance with chrome, to a '23 version (red) without, and was excited to go the 'stealth mode' without the chrome.

The chrome trim does make a big impact on the lines/looks of the car. But not the look I prefer :)

I saw the same parts on taptes.com they seem to be a reliable seller. Also available on ebay.
Here is the link for taptes
I've bought from TAPTES in the past. No complaints. Thanks for the speedy response!
Funny. I went from a '20 Model 3 Performance with chrome, to a '23 version (red) without, and was excited to go the 'stealth mode' without the chrome.

The chrome trim does make a big impact on the lines/looks of the car. But not the look I prefer :)
Get the silver wheel covers from Rimetrix. there are several "Chrome restore" kits available, like TAPTES Chrome Steel Window Molding Trim Decoration Strips for Tesla Model Y 2020-2023
Then you can warp the handles with silver 3M wrap or check with a couple of other vendors.
The black trim with red or blue cars looks like crap, IMHO.
Tesla has made some really dumb decisions:
Moving horn button from center of wheel to pissy little button on spoke
Deleting stalks
Chrome Delete
Yoke Steering only in S and X
Refusing to fix visibility problems with GUI
Le me know how you get on...