Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome Blackout Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done chrome blackout and had any issues with the door handles or mirrors because of the constant motion of them closing and opening? I've been trying to get quotes and a few people have stated that they can't warranty the door handles or the mirrors, and that the mirrors might not be able to fold anymore after blacking out. Also anyone in the general Phoenix area recommend anyone?

Reactions: UnpluggedP
I've got a 2015 MS. I got mine done in San Diego when I live there. I blacked out the window chrome, both side mirrors, the chrome strip below the doors, the chrome diffuser under the back bumper, and the chrome strips that go through the nose cone. The shop there expressed the same concern about the Sideview mirrors.

The side mirrors definitely had to work a little harder because of the vinyl wrap. I ended up cutting off a little bit on the passenger mirror (driver window was okay) which reveals a small section of chrome when the mirrors are folded.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 386
In our experience. The tolerances are different depending on year. on pre 2017 cars the mirrors are easier to wrap but on newer cars the gap between mirror and mirror base is much tighter.

This will sometimes cause the vinyl to bind under the mirror or be rubbed off somewhat. It just depends but we often recommend disabling the mirrors fold function. Door handles are pretty much the same across years and can be wrapped pretty easily.

San Diego Motor Sports did my chrome black-out (www.sdmotorsports.com). Awesome job. I couldn't be happier. I got it done 2 yrs ago and with the exception of two small nicks on the front (from road debris most likely from my cross-country trip from San Diego to Va Beach), each wrap job still looks new. I decided on matt black wrap on everything except around the windows. Decided on glossy black for window trim to match the glossy black of the b-pillar. Very happy with my finish choices.

Decided to leave the door handles chrome because I wanted to wrap the entire handle instead of just the flat portion. The guys at SD Motor Sports told me wrapping the door handles is tricky because of the curved surfaces. They said they could wrap or paint them. They offered to wrap the portion of the door handles they could access without taking apart the door but I knew some chrome would show. Painting the handles was more expensive than wrapping (mostly due to labor of taking apart the doors). As Unplugged stated, the door handle clearance is sufficient to accommodate wrapping without rubbing.......but the expense of taking apart the doors exceeded what I was willing to spend. In hindsight, I'm glad I left the chrome. The side turn lights, door handles, and rear hatch TESLA chrome bar are the only chrome and provide a good visual line down the car. Also wrapped the chrome trim piece below the rear bumper.

I decided to leave the nosecone T chrome to stand out on the front. I love how it looks. I also did not wrap the two chrome strips on the front at the fog lights because the chrome extends into the fog light assembly (which cannot be taken apart). I didn't like the idea of the black wrapped chrome strips next to the chrome tips within the light assembly.

Now that I've had most of the chrome blacked out for 2 yrs, I still love how it looks. The only external project I'm considering is red brake calipers or the lighted TESLA chrome bar on the back hatch.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG
    464.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    589.5 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 367