Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome coming off door handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
Anyone else have this happen to their door handles? I noticed today that the rear passenger door handle wasn’t sitting flush. When I was checking it out I ended up slicing my finger on the edge of the chrome that is separating from the bottom of the handle. I already had a service appointment scheduled for another issue so I just added this on to the same service request. The other door handles appear fine so far. I’m a pretty low VIN, 72XX, so this may just be an issue on very early Model 3s.

8EF4506C-CE07-4764-8341-F706D1329D7F.jpeg

Just checked all four of my doors and none show any signs of delamination. Although there is a small sharp edge on the driver's door handle near the back. Will keep an eye on it for now.

edit: VIN 444xx

Last edited:
Because of the reflection from the polished handle, there seems not any missing chrome part at all.

If the missing part is on top then this picture is the wrong view because it's the bottom view.
Just so we're all on the same page....

delamination_door_handle.jpg

This is what I was commenting on. There seems to be a white/grey surface under the chrome. It's why I asked if it looks like plastic as that is a common thing to do (layer chrome on top of plastic).

Reactions: PoitNarf
Just so we're all on the same page....

View attachment 582513
This is what I was commenting on. There seems to be a white/grey surface under the chrome. It's why I asked if it looks like plastic as that is a common thing to do (layer chrome on top of plastic).

Yes, that is exactly it. There’s a whole edge of the chrome overlay that has come loose and was sharp enough to give me a pretty decent paper cut.

hey @PoitNarf long time no see! VIN 68xx here, and I remember you and I got our cars within weeks of each other. Just checked my handles. I see the seam where yours delaminated, but mine are intact and haven't started to peel. Curious if your car's spent a lot of time outside in the summer? Mine has not. But mine has been exposed to salt and sand of the winter with no ill effect, so I would suspect the heat more than the cold.

hey @PoitNarf long time no see! VIN 68xx here, and I remember you and I got our cars within weeks of each other. Just checked my handles. I see the seam where yours delaminated, but mine are intact and haven't started to peel. Curious if your car's spent a lot of time outside in the summer? Mine has not. But mine has been exposed to salt and sand of the winter with no ill effect, so I would suspect the heat more than the cold.

Yes, my garage is cluttered with crap and my 3 has not had the pleasure of parking in it for many months. I’m not sure if sitting in the sun for months on end caused this but I certainly wouldn’t rule it out.

If it were an option I would certainly look into getting the black handles from the Y and replacing all of my door handles. Not sure if Tesla would order the handles for me though, I’ve heard they’ll typically only order parts for a VIN that you own.

Now if only there was a super easy way to replace them with the black handles from the Model Y. I did the chrome delete with the 3M stuff but the handles only get a sticker basically

I actually bought four new handles for the Mod3, and brought them to the Tesla body shop here and had them painted the color of my car (blue) and then to the 3M shop and all of them covered in clear PPF. Debating on selling though, because i didn't do the full chrome delete. They came out pretty bad a$$. Alternative to the ModY handles.

I actually bought four new handles for the Mod3, and brought them to the Tesla body shop here and had them painted the color of my car (blue) and then to the 3M shop and all of them covered in clear PPF. Debating on selling though, because i didn't do the full chrome delete. They came out pretty bad a$$. Alternative to the ModY handles.

How do you post that and not post pictures?! C'mon!

Taking post back to original topic...

Same here, noticed it end of August. 2018 27xxx VIN, also in the rear Passenger side but on top of handle. In touch with SC right now.

Attachments

• CEF97F1A-DD78-411F-AB19-878419F2DEEC.jpeg
    CEF97F1A-DD78-411F-AB19-878419F2DEEC.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 465
Reactions: PoitNarf
The problem has become worse. The chrome overlay has become extremely loose on the bottom edge of the door handle. Most times the handle isn't able to sit flush anymore because the loose chrome catches the door. I may have to cut the loose sections off the bottom of the handle so I don't have any issues opening the door. My service appointment isn't until the 14th...