Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome coming off door handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking post back to original topic...

Same here, noticed it end of August. 2018 27xxx VIN, also in the rear Passenger side but on top of handle. In touch with SC right now.

Updat: just picked up the car from SC and it’s all fixed. The first picture I submitted was taking in the dark and they replied “no defect” but after submitting it again with better pictures the appointment was confirmed and fixed in about an hour. No charge, despite the car officially being out of the bumper to bumper for three weeks. They also replaced the chrome trim above the windows, I had not noticed anything wrong with it.

So I continue to be happy with my purchase.

This is happening with my M3 rear passenger door handle. I thought there was schmutz or something on the underside of the handle and went to pick it off and ended up ripping some of the chrome up. Ugh. My kids use that door handle constantly so I guess I will tape it down until I figure out what to do next. I am also Aug. 2018. I was tempted to do chrome delete before, but this might force my.. hand.

Yes, my garage is cluttered with crap and my 3 has not had the pleasure of parking in it for many months. I’m not sure if sitting in the sun for months on end caused this but I certainly wouldn’t rule it out.

Ah yes, this is one of the favorite traditions in Texas: Buy a $50,000 car/truck, and leave it to rot outside while you pack about $750 of crap to the ceiling in your 2 car garage.

I am not a very good Texan, despite being a native, because I am always moving stuff from the garage to other storage areas.

Updat: just picked up the car from SC and it’s all fixed. The first picture I submitted was taking in the dark and they replied “no defect” but after submitting it again with better pictures the appointment was confirmed and fixed in about an hour. No charge, despite the car officially being out of the bumper to bumper for three weeks. They also replaced the chrome trim above the windows, I had not noticed anything wrong with it.

So I continue to be happy with my purchase.
What SC did you use? I want to go there, as the folks at mine in Chicago did not want to take responsibility for my legitimate (covered issues.)

I have the same issue too. Also a painful paper cut!

Reported on the app
Same here. Early 2019 M3, delaminating driver door handle (and paper cuts). Unlike some lucky people, my SC does not consider it a defect and will bill me over $350 CAD to fix it. First real issue in 3 years for me as well, but not too happy with the response from Tesla. Will watch carefully how they do it, so that next time I'll just buy the part (as it's almost a certainty that there will be another time). Damn.

Ah yes, this is one of the favorite traditions in Texas: Buy a $50,000 car/truck, and leave it to rot outside while you pack about $750 of crap to the ceiling in your 2 car garage.

I am not a very good Texan, despite being a native, because I am always moving stuff from the garage to other storage areas.

Try Florida. There is no such thing as a basement here so the garage becomes our basement. I think I'm doing pretty well since I have a 3 car garage and I can still get 2 cars in it. :)

Mike

Same for me too! But I am way out of warranty by miles. SO I peeled off the peeling chrome and have been good so far.
Any pics of what it looks like peeled off? Look ok or ugly? Same issue rear passenger dangerous peel and driver starting on my 2018 M3 RWD LR, earlyish VIN around 15k. I put scotch tape on my rear handle because my wife sliced her finger, but prefer to do something more permanent...

Any pics of what it looks like peeled off? Look ok or ugly? Same issue rear passenger dangerous peel and driver starting on my 2018 M3 RWD LR, earlyish VIN around 15k. I put scotch tape on my rear handle because my wife sliced her finger, but prefer to do something more permanent...
I actually traded the car in and got a new one. Underneath the chrome is translucent plastic. But the chrome only peeled off the back, so you couldn’t tell from the outside.

Anyone else have this happen to their door handles? I noticed today that the rear passenger door handle wasn’t sitting flush. When I was checking it out I ended up slicing my finger on the edge of the chrome that is separating from the bottom of the handle. I already had a service appointment scheduled for another issue so I just added this on to the same service request. The other door handles appear fine so far. I’m a pretty low VIN, 72XX, so this may just be an issue on very early Model 3s.

View attachment 582459
Were you under warrenty when you had this resolved ? What did they do ? I have this exact problem on both rear handles (VIN 20XXX). My wife cut her finger on one. Put in a service request. They want $500 to "repair" it.

Just had this happen on the driver door on my November 2018 3 LR. Can see bubbling on two other doors, but only the driver door is currently peeling enough for the handle to get stuck sometimes.

Do modern (chrome delete) handles suffer from the same issue? If not, how complicated is it to swap handles?

I have the same exact issue. Door handle hasn't been sitting flush unless I push it in, and now the chrome laminate is visibly peeling in the same place as your picture from several years ago. Mine is a 2018 vin 13xxx

Sept 2019, got them replaced all 4 last year under the 4y warranty

Screenshot_20240406_085956_Drive.jpg