Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome delete affecting insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the insurance companies seem concerned about is anything that either increases the probability of the car being involved in an accident (i.e. any go-faster, braking, steering or suspension system modifications) or increases the cost of any repair in the event of an accident.

Any film applied to the bodywork is likely to increase the cost to repair, as PPF isn't cheap and often large areas may need to be replaced following any bodywork repair. The snag is they don't have a graduated, logical, way of assessing the impact of any modification, they just have tick boxes from the various underwriters. The slightly odd thing is that Churchill and Direct Line are both underwritten by United Kingdom Insurance Ltd, so in theory should be much the same in terms of conditions.

Where do they draw the line? Tax disc holder, football club, NT, Kevin/Shirley etc stickers on the windscreen.
I contacted Churchill about the insurance and was told that wheels under £750 wouldn't add to the cost, legal tints wouldn't add to the cost, clear PPF was acceptable but I couldn't alter the colour of the car in any way (I wanted to wrap the A-pillars and roofline in black)

@VanillaAir_UK You just get it in writing that it's ok to have a "my family" decal (you know, mum, dad, 3 kids and a dog) + a GB decal. These can then be cut up and the dark outlines used to cover the chrome bits :D

On a more serious note, would the trim pieces from the Model Y fit the car? If so would they be accepted as a replacement part given that they're Tesla manufactured and not wrapped or painted? Insurers don't insist on you using oem parts, only oem quality.

• Funny
Reactions: MrBadger
Oh I did, I used the chat function for this purpose and kept a copy

Later... Dear Geordie12, We use a third party to supply the chat bot software to which your queries were directed and in this instance the information they have given you is incorrect. We're sorry that they haven't lived up to our usual high standards so will offer you a £10 discount on your next policy*.
As it stands, your vehicle was not insured at the time of the accident.... Blah blah...Something about modifications not being on the certificate.
Regards,
Insurer

*Since you were actually driving without insurance we will no longer be able to provide cover in future.