Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome delete affecting insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prompted by a question I read elsewhere, I've checked with my insurer (Direct Line) regarding chrome delete and they have advised that they would decline insurance if any vinyl wrapping is done to the exterior of the car. As in, they wouldn't increase premiums or anything, they just wouldn't insure the car at all. Made sure that they understood I was talking about trims only, not the bodywork. No exceptions either - even just door handle wrapping isn't allowed.

Which insurers are OK with this?

• Informative
Reactions: navt
I think it depends on who you speak to at the time. I've got insurance with Churchill, when I was getting it I told them I was getting PPF applied to the front, no problem as it's a clear coat to protect the paint. Other people on TMC have reported telling Churchill they were going to get PPF and being told they could not insure them!

Prompted by a question I read elsewhere, I've checked with my insurer (Direct Line) regarding chrome delete and they have advised that they would decline insurance if any vinyl wrapping is done to the exterior of the car. As in, they wouldn't increase premiums or anything, they just wouldn't insure the car at all. Made sure that they understood I was talking about trims only, not the bodywork. No exceptions either - even just door handle wrapping isn't allowed.

Which insurers are OK with this?
I've been through this with Direct Line.

Chrome delete was put down as 'Decals/Stickers' on the modifications. PPF was listed as 'Paint Protection'. Neither increased my premium.

When you speak to them you need to steer clear of the term 'vinyl wrap'.

Reactions: Lucanesque
I am just about to get my wheels painted, dechrome done and I've just had my rears tinted.

I am with Churchill and they confirmed on chat tonight that wheels are covered as standard, tints do not need to be declared as long as your above 25 and have had a license for over 5 years.

Thought that may be useful to others!

I am just about to get my wheels painted, dechrome done and I've just had my rears tinted.

I am with Churchill and they confirmed on chat tonight that wheels are covered as standard, tints do not need to be declared as long as your above 25 and have had a license for over 5 years.

Thought that may be useful to others!
Good info, but hope you’ve got that in writing.

I ended up moving away from Churchill just because they wouldn't insure PPF. I asked multiple people and got a firm no.

I did ask about chrome delete however and they was perfectly fine with that. I would've stayed with them if they would cover PPF.
Not covering either seems ridiculous to me. It makes less sense, however, to do it this way round.
So, they won't cover something that protects the vehicle bit will cover a cosmetic change. I just don't understand insurance company logic

The rationale behind loading PPF seems to be related to repair cost. Wrapping commercial vehicles with expensive to repair artwork and commercial logos is, I think, what's driven the insurance company policies, and it seems that they are rolling this across to PPF. There's some logic in that, as I don't believe that the much cheaper (for the insurers) smart repair services can work on a PPF'd vehicle, which means it has to go into a more expensive body shop. The apparent lack of consistency in the insurers approach probably comes down to them not having a box to tick from the underwriters to cover things like dechroming, plus not being able to differentiate PPF from an expensive wrap.

Reactions: Durzel
I'd want any verbal authorisation from DL or other companies in the DL group (e.g. Churchill) in writing before I would get PPF or anything else done.

People have had explicit refusals from them on PPF so getting an agent on the phone and spellbinding them with different linguistics for PPF, saying that it's a "coating" or "protection" or something else just so you can hear what you want to hear doesn't sound like much of an insurance policy to me.

As said above - the issue with PPF, which is a wrap - albeit a clear one - probably comes to repair costs. Wrapping is a bit of an art, and most paint shops don't deal in it at all, and even if they did - you can't just wrap a car that has been freshly painted, as it needs to cure, etc. it increases the time & cost significantly in any accident repair claim.

For what it's worth - I'm with Novo, who do cover PPF, and I added the cost of the PPF job to the agreed value for the car. Not the cheapest policy though, but at the end of the day I want an insurance policy that actually protects the car in its entirety, not to have to fret about what they are going to gripe about if/when it came to a claim.

Last edited:
Odd to refuse to insure a whole car based upon a film that literally takes a few seconds to peel off. Where do they draw the line? Tax disc holder, football club, NT, Kevin/Shirley etc stickers on the windscreen, mud flaps, wrap on centre console, replacement interior lights etc? It would be more reasonable for them to insure the car, but not the reinstatement of the film or modification.

Odd to refuse to insure a whole car based upon a film that literally takes a few seconds to peel off. Where do they draw the line? Tax disc holder, football club, NT, Kevin/Shirley etc stickers on the windscreen, mud flaps, wrap on centre console, replacement interior lights etc? It would be more reasonable for them to insure the car, but not the reinstatement of the film or modification.

Hmmm... not sure how serious you are about some of those, but are some of those classed as insurance-notifiable modifications?

For example, I'm wrapping my piano black centre console with white satin, adding rim-guards, and I'm also considering upgrading my puddle / interior lighting.