Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

chrome delete: matte vs satin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
getting my midnight silver s' chrome wrapped this week. initially figured i'd go w satin black to keep some shine but i also love matte finishes.

anyone go through this decision and can you either share pics or share your thought process?

fyi, gloss black is out bec it's too shiny for me. lots of great pics of blackout but no one specifies the finish so any insight would be appreciated.

thx
Gabe

@virtualsmack - I have a pic of my originally white car on the other chrome delete thread. I went satin black. I'm trying to look through some pics to see if I have a decent one showing the satin black. Here's one, but I'm not sure if it's any better. At least you can see some of the satin finish on the nose cone.

If you have a specific request of a shot, I can try to get one for you. Good luck!

Full Body.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG
IMG_4643.JPG
IMG_4647.JPG
getting my midnight silver s' chrome wrapped this week. initially figured i'd go w satin black to keep some shine but i also love matte finishes.

anyone go through this decision and can you either share pics or share your thought process?

fyi, gloss black is out bec it's too shiny for me. lots of great pics of blackout but no one specifies the finish so any insight would be appreciated.

thx
Gabe

Hey Gabe, I went with Avery satin black for my rims and the chrome delete. I prefer that little bit of shine especially since my car is more matte. Sorry the rims are super dirty in the pic.

did you ever replicate it in plasticdip? There was a group here in Houston that did a good job but they stopped, not sure where they went.

I was going to say yeah, sure did, but in Autoflex (see: Dipped my car: Autoflex Matte + ZTA Hypershift + Blueberry Juice )

... but looking at that date Feb 2017... I can't make sense of my own post. That was right after I bought my P85D, and had not yet sold the P85+ that was Autoflexed. And I'm puzzled why I would say "plastidip" when I'm a huge fan of Autoflex coatings. Maybe I had some wine that night, which I think is evidenced by the "that's hot" comment, is all I can figure.

But to answer your question, I think I'm going down a similar route with my P85D, but not a hypershift blue this time, but rather a much more solid Deep Sea Blue with blueberry juice... something like this, but in satin finish (Autoflex, of course):

15876737_1393265800692870_6673462631963033600_n.jpg

17522261_10155372457372780_64696673_o.jpg

How would you handle under the frunk, and the door sills?

My car is already the dark blue metallic, same as my P85+ with the hypershift blue. Really, you didn't notice the difference that much, it's not like it's stark white door sills and interior parts that would really stand out. And I don't open the frunk that much. ;)

I'm about to redo my accent trim in the new 3M Cosmic blue. It's pretty close to the blue in your pic

That cosmic blue is very nice, but I still want to go Autoflex dip over a wrap. It's quite a bit less expensive, and significantly easier to remove if I want (you can pretty much peel a dipped car yourself).

My car is already the dark blue metallic, same as my P85+ with the hypershift blue. Really, you didn't notice the difference that much, it's not like it's stark white door sills and interior parts that would really stand out. And I don't open the frunk that much. ;)

That cosmic blue is very nice, but I still want to go Autoflex dip over a wrap. It's quite a bit less expensive, and significantly easier to remove if I want (you can pretty much peel a dipped car yourself).

I found this blue in a wrap:
BLUE SUPERCAST CHROME MASERATI GRANTURISMO VINYL WRAP | VViViD Vinyl

BLUE SUPERCAST CHROME MASERATI GRANTURISMO VINYL WRAP

thx
Gabe
I also have the midnight silver. I went with satin black on everything except the door handles. I made them satin black initially, but the contrast with the midnight silver seemed too much, so I switched to gray for just the door handles.

Reactions: DesertLurker