Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome delete paint instead of vinyl

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone painted their chrome instead of a vinyl chrome delete? I am talking with a shop about doing it and seems like the better way to go if you don't want to remove the vinyl anytime soon of course. More durable, last longer, has a better warranty. Seems like the only con would be you are stuck with it that way once it is done. Just wondering if anyone has done this and had any problems.

The real con for painting is cost. It would cost thousands, because it is not a paint prepped surface, and requires completely removal to be done. You cannot just paint the exposed portions, you need complete encapsulation for it to last.

To do real paint would require removing all of the trim. You would need to skuff the surface, use self etching primer, then build primer, then color coat, possibly clear if doing two-stage paint. Definitely not reversible either.

Plastidip would be the way to go if avoiding wrapping. That is reversible, and requires minimal prep.

Has anyone painted their chrome instead of a vinyl chrome delete? I am talking with a shop about doing it and seems like the better way to go if you don't want to remove the vinyl anytime soon of course. More durable, last longer, has a better warranty. Seems like the only con would be you are stuck with it that way once it is done. Just wondering if anyone has done this and had any problems.

Here you go:

Painted black out trim on New Model 3 with Color match door handles

@WFOMDL3 paid $2800.. a bit pricey.. but the black gloss is nice

The real con for painting is cost. It would cost thousands, because it is not a paint prepped surface, and requires completely removal to be done. You cannot just paint the exposed portions, you need complete encapsulation for it to last.

To do real paint would require removing all of the trim. You would need to skuff the surface, use self etching primer, then build primer, then color coat, possibly clear if doing two-stage paint. Definitely not reversible either.

Plastidip would be the way to go if avoiding wrapping. That is reversible, and requires minimal prep.

Yes, the only reason i am worried about paint is its irreversible. But i got a quote for $600 for trim and $150 for mirrors for paint and a 10 year warranty. Lowest quote i got for vinyl is $900 and a 1 year warranty. I would love to plastidip, but i have no patience or skill for stuff like that. I can't even finger paint...

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
Yes, the only reason i am worried about paint is its irreversible. But i got a quote for $600 for trim and $150 for mirrors for paint and a 10 year warranty. Lowest quote i got for vinyl is $900 and a 1 year warranty. I would love to plastidip, but i have no patience or skill for stuff like that. I can't even finger paint...

That's quite surprising about how low your paint quote was. Ask for details on what they are doing. A guarantee is great, but you don't want to just buy a guaranteed piece of crap.

Reactions: tracksyde
That's quite surprising about how low your paint quote was. Ask for details on what they are doing. A guarantee is great, but you don't want to just buy a guaranteed piece of crap.

Yes, will def get all the info and ask for pictures of previous work. The shop was recommended by someone on here in my area and they have good reviews. I def don't wanna put garbage on a $60k car, but I also don't want to spend a ton of money.
Thanks for the info!

From experience I would strongly advise against plasti-dip unless you turn off mirror folding. On my S, they could never get it to stay long term and had to fix that section every 6 months or so. I felt bad for him, having to keep coming out and redoing it. But not folding mirrors was not an option for me where I parked.