Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome delete, Plastidip or wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you talking about PPF wrap (protection) or vinyl wrap (change the look)?

If youre changing the color/look, just make sure you find a damn good installer. Both vinyl and plastidip can look like garbage if done with short cuts... especially plastidip.

If you're getting ppf wrap, make sure they take the time to do some extent of paint correction before applying the wrap. It's likely a new car will need less correction. But even a new one may warrant at least a clay bar and polish treatment before application.

Expensive doesn't mean the best job. But if you're getting quotes, cheap should raise an alarm and warrant further due diligence on the installer.

Me personally, I had xpel ultimate ppf wrap applied to the full front and doors.

Are you talking about PPF wrap (protection) or vinyl wrap (change the look)?

If youre changing the color/look, just make sure you find a damn good installer. Both vinyl and plastidip can look like garbage if done with short cuts... especially plastidip.

If you're getting ppf wrap, make sure they take the time to do some extent of paint correction before applying the wrap. It's likely a new car will need less correction. But even a new one may warrant at least a clay bar and polish treatment before application.

Expensive doesn't mean the best job. But if you're getting quotes, cheap should raise an alarm and warrant further due diligence on the installer.

Me personally, I had xpel ultimate ppf wrap applied to the full front and doors.
He’s talking about chrome delete, there is no paint correction, clay bar, etc. involved.

hey,

I’m thinking of doing a chrome delete and watched a number of videos doing both 3M wrap and plastidip.

Which is the best to use?

Depends if you want to do it yourself, or if you want to pay someone.

If you want to do it 100% yourself; go with plastidip. There's DIY 3M solutions for some of the chrome, but not all of it.

If you want to pay someone to do plastidip, don't. Think long and hard about whether or not you want it to be permanent and whether you'd actually revert back to chrome. If you don't think you will, get it permanently painted.

If you don't want permanent but want someone to do it, go with the wrap for chrome delete. It's removable and more durable than plastidip. 3M isn't forever; but it requires less frequent touch ups than plastidip.

If you want to go 3M but stay cheaper, buy 3M DIY solutions for the tailgate, side markers, front grill, and front lower trims. Then pay someone to do the mirrors and window surround.

I have plasti, wrap, and paint on my car at various locations. They all work, just depends on what you're looking for in terms of work, durability, and price.

Thanks. Yeah this is just chrome delete.

I like to do stuff myself so was actually gonna try either method, was just curious which was best. I like the idea of 3M wrap as it’s less mess and living in the UK my MX is too large for my garage so I’d have to wrap or paint outside and I don’t fancy platidippibg outside as I’ll get bits and dust stuck to it :(

I guess with 3M I can always peel off and start again if it goes wrong but looking at videos online it all seems pretty simple, am I being foolish saying that?

What about the chrome around the windows, that looks straight forward enough?

I wouldn't attack that myself, and I also don't know where I would get that from. There is a lot of curvature and I would be bothered by imperfections. Straight lines I can do.

Attachments

• 20180818_121622.jpg
    20180818_121622.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 799
  • 20180818_145803.jpg
    20180818_145803.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 685
I plasti dipped the chrome around the windows and mirrors and let me tell you, that was not easy. It looks good for afar, but it's just such a long run that it's hard to get it consistent and with the right amount of coverage. The mirror section sucked and has started rubbing off too. The handles were the easiest to do.

I plasti dipped the chrome around the windows and mirrors and let me tell you, that was not easy. It looks good for afar, but it's just such a long run that it's hard to get it consistent and with the right amount of coverage. The mirror section sucked and has started rubbing off too. The handles were the easiest to do.

I’ve had various parts dipped and wrapped for about 2 years now. I have chrome showing from peeling vinyl, as well as chrome showing from peeling plasti that has not been refreshed. Odd actually since my wheels are holding up really well.

This next time around, it’s going to be a permanent paint match. I’ve decided I like the look so no point in reapplying constantly.

Reactions: Anzir
I did the chrome delete on my Model S myself. I bought about $30 worth of tools and watched countless videos on youtube before I started. The two hardest parts were the tops of the mirror housings (very technical) and the big chrome piece over the windows (large and awkward).

blacked%20out%20chrome.jpg

Wrapped%20door%20handles.JPG

Wrapped%20side%20marker.JPG

Wrapped%20mirror%20trim%20folded.JPG

Wrapped%20mirror%20trim%20extended.JPG

Reactions: Anzir
I have a good amount of spraying experience, and having watched this video, plasti-dip by far seems the most cost effective and reasonable option, with a high quality result possible. I’ve bought the stuff to do it this week as soon as I collect the car so I’ll update as and when.

It clearly goes on very evenly even with a fairly loose technique.

This does not look especially technical, compared to some tricky wrapping. Clean your surfaces, mask well, and pick a time when the car isn’t condensation-cold or in baking sun etc, and it looks great.

Even if you were to refresh this every year or two you’d be spending a fraction of the cost of vinyl wrap, we’re talking <£100 to do yourself with no parts removal, compared to >£600 for vinyl with the rear tail piece still needing paint or dismantling.