Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome delete retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did it last week- regret it a bit. Just did it because my car was in a hit and run and left side was covered since chrome delete would need to be re-done anyways. Did not do repeaters or handles since its the $ and labor costs of handles. Looks really good but NOT worth the $. Appointment tomorrow to re-tint corner windows+lightly resmoke rear lights. $1800 parts alone for whole car including all trim, mirrors, and corner windows.
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 11.25.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 11.23.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 11.23.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 11.23.52 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 11.25.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 11.25.15 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 73
Reactions: Durzel
I did it last week- regret it a bit. Just did it because my car was in a hit and run and left side was covered since chrome delete would need to be re-done anyways. Did not do repeaters or handles since its the $ and labor costs of handles. Looks really good but NOT worth the $. Appointment tomorrow to re-tint corner windows+lightly resmoke rear lights. $1800 parts alone for whole car including all trim, mirrors, and corner windows.View attachment 641674 View attachment 641670View attachment 641671View attachment 641672
How did you install quarter panel windows?

Wow @zackmilo very helpful info, and great pictures too!

$1488.94 was the estimate gave me for labor and parts to replace my window trim with the same chrome it came with, details here:
Tesla Model 3 replacing my 13 year old Honda Civic Hybrid, let's see how that goes. So far, so good! | TinkerTry IT @ Home
so yeah, going with black trim is looking costly, especially since door handles and repeaters and labor aren't included in that $1800.

By the way, something interesting to note.

FYI, the Tesla Manual recommends touch-less car washes, see page 169:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
which has been recently updated to include information about pH levels:
CAUTION: If washing in an automatic car wash, use touchless car washes only. These car washes have no parts (brushes, etc.) that touch the surfaces of Model 3. Some touchless car washes use caustic solutions that, over time, can cause discoloration of decorative exterior trim. Avoid exposure to soaps and chemicals above pH 13. If unsure, check the product label or ask the staff at the car wash. Damage caused by improper washing is not covered by the warranty

But back when I got my 2018 Model 3 on Dec 23 2018, the instruction manual didn’t say anything about pH levels, only that I SHOULD use touchless car washes only. See this pdf version from November 8, 2019 for example, page 163:

Caution: If washing in an automatic car wash, use Touchless car washes only. These car washes have no parts (brushes, etc.) that touch the surfaces of Model 3. Using any other type of car wash could cause damage that is not covered by the warranty.

This tends to lend some validity to this article:
Will Tesla Fix The Discoloration on Window Trim? | That Tesla Channel
claiming:
Will Tesla fix discoloration on window trim? Yes, Tesla will replace the window trim if you purchased your vehicle before the warranty change in January of 2020. If you purchased your vehicle after the warranty changed, replacement of the trim will be at their discretion.

but I've never been able to reach the author to clarify or provide details.

Also few things to note the mirrors are not compatible unless you switch the antennas so I took the antennas out of the old mirrors and place them into the door panel. They change the connectors from 3 to 1. Loving the look but wouldn’t do it again. Not worth time money and effort. View attachment 642240View attachment 642241
I took apart both mirrors fully and transferred the black trim onto the old mirror so I could keep wifi antenna without removing it. Definitely a lot of work and wouldn’t do it again.

Yes touchless car wash is a big no-no since the chemicals they use are very strong and can discolor the trim.
Well, that's not really a realistic approach to maintaining a car here in winter in New England, with lots of salt everywhere, combined with typically unheated garages at home. Which also means rinse-less washes aren't' really a viable option here either. Especially on road trips, where visibility through windows of a filty salt-crusted car can be very difficult for the driver or for the cameras to see though.

I guess more to the point, the very same self-service car wash had no negative effects on my 2 Honda Civics chrome trim for about 13 years of regular washes there. Also important to notice that Tesla has actually changed their advice in the manual. It's just a bit of a bummer, that's all, and I'm just trying to figure out a good looking, economical, and durable path forward. DIY didn't work out well for me, not a fan of the seams, and folks often actually use the trim below the window when closing the doors, so the feel of overlaps and wrinkles wasn't great either.

Very grateful forums like this exist to share ideas.

Matt black
Model 3: Chrome-Delete Kit for Window Frames (ABS plastic shell) (UK) with video:

seems more practical / better longevity vs. gloss black:

Anybody tried one of these sets yet? Gone through car wash many times?

In theory it should hold as well as a 3M adhesive taped Tesla OEM front plate bracket, but I wonder about visible gaps, or catching the edge with your fingers if you occasionally close the door using the trim area.