Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Chrome delete' standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you guys the chrome delete standard vs the model 3?

Untitled.png

Just FYI the cars in person had chrome, so I wouldn’t get too excited yet (although this should absolutely be an option)
Are you saying that you were at the Model Y unveil last night in Hawthorne and you saw that the Y prototypes there had chrome trim? How many were there? Watching the livestream, the blue car on stage looked like it had black trim.

The online configurator clearly shows the Y trim as black. That must be deliberate.

I think it looks good, but I was surprised to see the black trim.

To me it's color dependent. Black looks much better with red or white paint in my opinion. Especially with the black wheel covers. . Also the black trim just looks more appropriate with the higher, more boxy vehicle. Sure hope they keep the delete since I ordered red paint.

Reactions: Limit X
... but making them look like cheap black plastic is better?

If the trim gets exposed to road salt it will start to look pitted and corroded after just a couple of years. Ask me how I know. The Tesla chrome trim is also extremely soft. I'm pretty careful around my car and the chrome trim is already scuffed and scratched in a few places. Black goes with everything, doesn't pull your eye away from the shape of the car, and should wear much better over time than chrome ever will.

If the trim gets exposed to road salt it will start to look pitted and corroded after just a couple of years.

I live in Southern Ontario, Canada which has to be the salt and brine capital of the world. It is so bad that at times that extra wipe the wipers give after running the washers is annoying because it just smears the new salt that has sprayed up in that moment before the final wipe.

Having said that, the only car I ever had chrome issues with was my 2013 Model S. Tesla replaced both fender turn signal repeaters and the T logo on the back which solved the problem. My rear view wing mirror guts did corrode (dissimilar metals) causing big grey streaks down the doors. But none of my other cars...ever... had any chrome corrosion issues.

I'll never understand the fascination with chrome delete.

Chrome = ugly and gaudy. It's barely one step behind making everything Trump Gold. Chrome was a cool thing to do to your hoop-D back in the day. I prefer a bit higher brow look with my Teslas.

The problem on Teslas is that, in general, blacking out the chrome on pretty much anything other than a black car looks weird.

Chrome = ugly and gaudy. It's barely one step behind making everything Trump Gold. Chrome was a cool thing to do to your hoop-D back in the day. I prefer a bit higher brow look with my Teslas.

The problem on Teslas is that, in general, blacking out the chrome on pretty much anything other than a black car looks weird.
One thing that I actually like the look of is rather than blacking out the door handles is putting a carbon fiber wrap on them. I don't like it so much that I would do it to my car though. I general I'm happy with the small amount of chrome on the car.