Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome Delete Tips? [tip as in extra payment for service rendered]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tipping in general is a personal thing. I didnt tip when I got this done on my vehicle, but I do tend to tip when I get work done around my home. In general, the way I look at it for something like this, is if I am extremely happy, and / or the person doing the work is not the owner of the business, I will generally tip them something.

If its the owner of the business, and I feel the job they did is noteworthy / worth more than they charged me, I will tip them. Its a fluid situation with tips for work like this, to me anyway, so "it depends".

==============

Moderator note: Added additional clarification to your thread title because, here at least, asking about "tips" usually means "advice", so when I read it, I read "Chrome delete [Advice?]" not "Recommendations on how much to tip an installer who does your chrome delete?"

Upvote 0
Im old.. I give my mail carrier a cash xmas gift of $50 every year (my regular carrier, who is the same person since I moved into my home 8 years ago).
I'm old too, but don't have a relationship with my mail carrier. I'm not a fan of tipping people that already get paid well. Funny how we tip restaurant waiting staff but don't tip fast food staff, when both make minimum wage. Now if someone does something good out of their normal job description, then I'll tip.

Upvote 0
I'm old too, but don't have a relationship with my mail carrier. I'm not a fan of tipping people that already get paid well. Funny how we tip restaurant waiting staff but don't tip fast food staff, when both make minimum wage. Now if someone does something good out of their normal job description, then I'll tip.
Minimum wage for tipped restaurant workers and fast food workers is different. Tipped restaurant workers make around $3.25/hour and make the money off the tips. Fast food workers make the state/federal minimum wage of $8-15. Tipped restaurant workers typically do not see a check, it is $0.00 after taxes so they survive on your tips. Very, very different. Literally making this profile after being on this forum for months to try to inform you of this because it's important for you to know. Whether you believe it should be this way or not is another discussion but it's important to know how it actually works.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Upvote 0
Minimum wage for tipped restaurant workers and fast food workers is different. Tipped restaurant workers make around $3.25/hour and make the money off the tips. Fast food workers make the state/federal minimum wage of $8-15. Tipped restaurant workers typically do not see a check, it is $0.00 after taxes so they survive on your tips. Very, very different. Literally making this profile after being on this forum for months to try to inform you of this because it's important for you to know. Whether you believe it should be this way or not is another discussion but it's important to know how it actually works.

My sister spent 6-7 years as a server in a restaurant, so I am familiar with this. Like you said, whether it "should" be like that is another discussion. I personally like places like Japan, which doesnt really have tipping at all (except for places that deal exclusively with tourists, and only then to not confuse / offend them).

If you ask a native Japanese person about tips, they are confused, because "the price of the product includes good service, so what are the tips for?" People performing those jobs make a better wage there than similar places here in the US, I was told. So refreshing!

Anyway, I have never understood why, for wait staff, the burden of paying the persons salary is on the customer (tips). As for "tipping my mail carrier", I order a lot of things online (and did pre covid, as well). Many of my packages are delivered by my regular mail carrier. I know this, because I have security cameras for my porch and backyard.

Anyway, my mail carrier always goes out of the way to tuck my packages behind a pillar, or just inside my back gate, etc out of view. I live on a street that happens to be one of the main shortcuts through my city, so I get a fair amount of traffic on my street. Anyway, I was greatful that my carrier took that action to "hide" my packages, without any input from me, all year. I thought a thank you card, $50 and a note inside thanking them for doing so might go a long way in letting them know that "someone noticed, and cared" that they were doing something a bit extra.

Upvote 0