Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome delete

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50tz1x1xwbrz.jpg

This is the look I'm going for for my 3, but rather than paying $1000 for a custom shop to handle it, I plan on having one of the guys in my shop (I work at a graphics company) wrap the chrome with the same 3M 180 film the custom shops use. My question is how do I get the door handles, logos, and AP sensors off the car for easier wrapping? Does anyone know? I know it's hard to say exactly as almost nobody owns the car yet, but does anyone know if this will even be possible? My guys can wrap the chrome around the windows, but the other stuff makes me think I might have to fork over the extra money.I know plastidip is an option too but I've heard it looks pretty crappy, isn't all that durable, and I'm not a DIY guy. Anyway, any tips would be appreciated!

Logos use dental floss. They are attached using double sided tape.
AP2 sensors (assuming you mean the ones on the front fenders) should just pop out from cutouts in the fenders. Just use plastic tool and pop them out, careful to not break the plastic housing.
Door handles, way too hard to remove as would require quite a bit of disassembly. Probably have to remove the inner door panel and then unbolt the handle assembly from the inside. Assume it would be easier to wrap it best as can from the outside.

Reactions: A-E
Skillful 'wrappers' leave everything in place except for maybe the "T" emblems. They are worth the money. Be sure your guys know what they are doing or you could wind up with a mess.
I would say the opposite actually, a worthwhile shop will take the time an effort to disassemble everything they can to provide the best wrap/coverage. Those who are trying to offer discounted rate will skip those steps to save time.

Same as a paint shop. Macco and the like just mask off whatever they don't want to be painted, while the good paint shops will remove everything they can.

That's exactly what I was thinking. But how hard would it be to match the color? I too am interested in the red.

Matching the red will be easy, just unscrew your gas flap and take it into get matching vinyl.. oh wait.. ;)

There are red pearl vinyls like this one. You'll probably have to settle for "close enough" in term of how well it matches, but if its not that close IMO it'll look worse than leaving the handle chrome or wrapping it black.

Somebody should order one of the sample sizes and go hit a tesla store and see how well it matches the red pearl paint.

I think i'd probably consider wrapping the chrome bits of the mirror arms in colour matched vinyl rather than black as that might look better IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: aaeverett
View attachment 257295 View attachment 257296 View attachment 257297
Not sure where your at in Ohio, but in Pittsburgh my guy did the ceramic coating, tint, PPF (all forward facing parts), chrome delete, and powder coating my wheels for less then the 4K you were hoping for. Would be happy to share his contact. He's done a bunch of work on teslas.
Wow, that looks sharp!!
My estimate was under $4K as well. I went over it again and it was actually closer to $3K. It was $900 for the PPF, $1,500 for the ceramic, $400 for the chrome delete, plus whatever tint I add. What coverage on the wrap did you get? Full or partial hood? Yes,, send your contact's info as well, depending on price and quality a couple hour drive to Pittsburgh might be worth it.

I think I'm going with Midnight Silver Metallic. If I do a chrome delete, the chrome trim and door handles will be matched to the paint, instead of black......

between that and a nice tint job, I'll be all set.

EDIT: I guess I'll get some summer wheels and tires eventually. To start with, I'm fine with the 18" aeros.

Last edited:
Reactions: T34ME