Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHROME DELETE

Look better than stock?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is how the car looks now. The tint on the headlights is the smoked clear bras from RPM TESLA. It looks a little purple in pictures but it isn't. I am gonna tint the windshield but cant reveal whats coming but it will look a whole lot different in the coming few weeks.
IMG_3292.JPG
IMG_3288.JPG
IMG_3294.JPG
IMG_3290.JPG
IMG_3295.JPG

Very Very well.
Good to hear! :)

Regarding the window trim - the DYC tutorial says to tape directly above the bottom window trim to prevent dip from getting into the felt window seal, then remove while still wet. Wouldn't waiting between coats cause the dip to dry, thus making it difficult to remove the masking tape there? I read one recommendation somewhere that suggests you do not wait 5-10 minutes between coats, and just spray wet coats pretty much continuously for 4-5 coats. What are your thoughts on that?

Good to hear! :)

Regarding the window trim - the DYC tutorial says to tape directly above the bottom window trim to prevent dip from getting into the felt window seal, then remove while still wet. Wouldn't waiting between coats cause the dip to dry, thus making it difficult to remove the masking tape there? I read one recommendation somewhere that suggests you do not wait 5-10 minutes between coats, and just spray wet coats pretty much continuously for 4-5 coats. What are your thoughts on that?
Take the top tape off when it is still wet. I agree with that.

Very Very well.
This is great news! Did you do anything to protect the dip on the door handles? I was thinking that these will be prone to peeling where the hand rubs against the paint.

I have the stock 18" wheels with the aero caps removed - I like the wheels original color and don't like the fact that the trim is chrome but the wheels are gun metal. I wanted to do chrome delete in gun metal to match the wheels but was worried how the dip will hold on the handles. So, I decided to go the other way and dip the wheels in chrome metal color instead - just a tester, with the idea to think more seriously about the chrome delete when the wheels start peeling in a few months. It has been 5 months since and it is holding very well still. I replaced the tires on the same wheels for the winter and was certain that the installer would scratch and peel the plastidip. I was amazed that the installer at Costco did it without any noticeable marks on the dip. I asked them to try to save it but wasn't expecting much and they did a great job. I can post pictures of the car with the chrome trim and metal dipped 18" stock wheels if anyone's interested. I like the look but will definitely be going the chrome delete way when it comes time for the summer tires.

each additional coat acts as a solvent for the coats below, which means that it does soften all that's on there. So the key is to remove the tape before the LAST coat dries.

This same principle is why maintenance of plastidip is so easy. every few years or so, as a preventative measure, spray another coat or two, particularly in areas that do get more handling or abuse, or UV exposure. The new layer will fix any brittleness that might have developed.

• Informative
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
You are going to want to cover the mirror trim as well, which is the hardest part. Here's another kit that covers both:

Chrome Delete Kit fitting the 2017-2019 Tesla Model 3 | eBay

Of course, if you do the cuts yourself, it's much cheaper. Or if you dip instead of vinyl, it's cheaper still.