Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome Exterior Trim on New 2021 Model 3 - Is that Normal?

mattel3

Apr 2, 2021
New York
Hello,

I just took delivery of a 2021 Model 3 long-range AWD with upgraded wheels here in North America. I got it from the Inventory and it had under 50 miles on the odometer, and it came from Fremont. While the manufacturing date on the sticker says March 2021, my car has a chrome exterior trim (windows and door handle). Is that normal? I haven't read a single instance of this. Sales isn't replying and Tesla Support was clueless and surprised. The account clearly says 2021 Model 3 but the picture shows the black trim as well.

I actually enjoy the chrome trim, but if that's a 2020 thing, what else is a 2020 part in my car?! I don't want resale value or any other surprise impacts. I'm looking at you, heat pump and longer 2021 range.

Thanks

RedWhite19

Aug 17, 2020
Los Angeles
At the risk of sounding dumb, how do I tell ? I've driven the car once so far and at the moment it's sitting underground behind a valet controlled garage.
Double pan.

1617476425635.jpeg

Single pan... is well, single.

Fred42

Dec 24, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hello,

I just took delivery of a 2021 Model 3 long-range AWD with upgraded wheels here in North America. I got it from the Inventory and it had under 50 miles on the odometer, and it came from Fremont. While the manufacturing date on the sticker says March 2021, my car has a chrome exterior trim (windows and door handle). Is that normal? I haven't read a single instance of this. Sales isn't replying and Tesla Support was clueless and surprised. The account clearly says 2021 Model 3 but the picture shows the black trim as well.

I actually enjoy the chrome trim, but if that's a 2020 thing, what else is a 2020 part in my car?! I don't want resale value or any other surprise impacts. I'm looking at you, heat pump and longer 2021 range.

Thanks
Tesla uses the parts they have. When they make changes, like the changes they made for the 2021 Model 3's, they phase them in when they have each new part. It would not surprise me if they found a few bright trim pieces left over and decided to use them. I would see this as a problem only if they mixed trim on one car, which in your case they didn't.

MikeyC

Aug 19, 2019
Florida
Tesla uses the parts they have. When they make changes, like the changes they made for the 2021 Model 3's, they phase them in when they have each new part. It would not surprise me if they found a few bright trim pieces left over and decided to use them. I would see this as a problem only if they mixed trim on one car, which in your case they didn't.

That sounds a bit nutty to me. Black trim is supposed to be a 2021 feature. I can't imagine them trying to explain that: "Oh, we found some leftover 2020 chrome and decided to just use that on your car". WUT?

Mike

Reactions: CyberPilot

shingles

Feb 23, 2021
Texas, USA
That sounds a bit nutty to me. Black trim is supposed to be a 2021 feature. I can't imagine them trying to explain that: "Oh, we found some leftover 2020 chrome and decided to just use that on your car". WUT?

Mike
Haha, maybe with any other manufacturer, but would any of us REALLY be surprised if that's what happened?

KJD

Supporting Member
Dec 14, 2013
SLC, UT
Hello,

Thanks
What is the build date of your car? See the sticker on the drivers door post. Never mind I see its from March. Very strange.

What is the VIN number ?

mattel3

Apr 2, 2021
New York
What is the build date of your car? See the sticker on the drivers door post. Never mind I see its from March. Very strange.

What is the VIN number ?
5YJ3E1EB8MF924XXX

I'll check the details being asked above tomorrow (I have to order the car to be brought up).

I guess I'm slightly concerned that someone would be skeptical if I go to resell it in a few years, if they see the chrome trim. My secondary worry is there's something else not 2021 about the car (heat pump, double paning which I should be able to check, range)

RedWhite19

Aug 17, 2020
Los Angeles
5YJ3E1EB8MF924XXX

I'll check the details being asked above tomorrow (I have to order the car to be brought up).

I guess I'm slightly concerned that someone would be skeptical if I go to resell it in a few years, if they see the chrome trim. My secondary worry is there's something else not 2021 about the car (heat pump, double paning which I should be able to check, range)
Get the chrome delete. Or take it to Tesla and have them do it.

I think you should be okay. I doubt they had a 2020 sitting around some corner and said “Hey, what’s that doing here? Let’s give it to some shmo.”

Reactions: Matsayz

JohnnyEV

Feb 16, 2021
Bay Area, CA
Does it have the other 2021 refresh features? USB in the glovebox, updated centre console?
Definitely check all of this and honestly it will affect resale if everyone else's car came with black. Now it could go the other way and be a unicorn if it turns out be a 1 of 1 mistake and the only 2021 with Chrome.

Reactions: CyberPilot

Perscitus

Jan 29, 2019
New York
Sounds oddly common for this manufacturer. Previous instances of botched assembly and or how-did-this-past-QA oddities:

- Driver's side 2nd gen, Passenger's side 1st gen seat

- White interior door trim on one side, black interior door trim on the other.

- AMER tailight assembly on one side,
EMEA/APAC assembly on the other.

- White interior and wood dash trim, black interior and white dash trim

So 'chrome' trim on a 2021 sounds very plausable. Consider it a unicorn if that manufacturing date is accurate (the VIN may or may not be representative of manufacturing window).

• Informative
Reactions: trisk

Mr X

Future Martian
Jan 18, 2013
Simi Valley, CA
Hello,

Thanks

Pics

Reactions: TimothyHW3

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC