Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome Trim Discoloring Badly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had the rear quarter panel window chrome trim discolor to nearly white? My M3P is 11 months old and it began around month 7. I contacted the SC about it and they will not warranty this and state it's due to the PH level of water at car washes. I do a combo of home wash and touchless car washing. I've not had this happen to my other vehicles using the same combo of washing the car and surprised Tesla won't cover this. They are quoting me $368 per side to replace the trim.

I also have the rubber trim coming off the driver door and read drivers side door - again not covered by Tesla.

The rear trunk seal also leaks, not covered by Tesla.

The rear panel where they mount the trailer hitch fell off while driving and they did replace that - sent it to me and I installed myself versus driving 2 hours to the closest SC.

On delivery, two large paint ghost spots, again Tesla didn't cover.

I added wrap to the wheel arches where I noticed everyday driving was pitting the paint.

So overall impression of Tesla service and Customer Service / Warranty coverage is that they don't really cover anything for your $60K purchase. Since this was my first go round with a Tesla, I leased and I'm glad I did. If they don't improve their service and warranty I'll be looking at other EV offerings when my lease is up. To say I'm disappointed in their service thus far would be an understatement. I love the car, but feel like Tesla really could care less about correcting any issues on it. Since it's a lease I'm using it as a 'rolling ad' for what having a Tesla can be like ... the great, the good and the ugly. I'm honest when people ask about it and show them the things not being covered.

Anyone else having issues with SC / Tesla not being willing to cover basic items? I had an Audi A8L prior and a Mercedes AMG prior to that and those manufacturers stood behind every item on the car with little to no hesitation.

Any advice on how to get Tesla to step up and cover some of these basic items?

Attachments

• IMG_5599.jpeg
    IMG_5599.jpeg
    692.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_5597.jpeg
    IMG_5597.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 193
have you tried a chrome polisher on it? I've always had to apply chrome polisher on my previous cars to restore things to a shine.

I have this issue as well (Feb 2018 build) but it is pretty uniform across all of the chrome trim around the windows.

Can you try a different Service Center or speak to the service manager? It does seem like Tesla just hired all the managers from crappy dealerships and let’em loose. You can always tweet Elon... I know it’s funny but he does randomly respond.

I’d highly recommend a chrome delete from Nikola Pro Tesla Model 3 Chrome Delete | Nikola Pro but you said it’s a lease...

Attachments

• 2E0A2E0C-84FD-4445-A6BF-EAA20BA75665.jpeg
    2E0A2E0C-84FD-4445-A6BF-EAA20BA75665.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 32243A29-6AD2-45A2-8C31-94D8D4A30A1B.jpeg
    32243A29-6AD2-45A2-8C31-94D8D4A30A1B.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 141
Can you try a different Service Center or speak to the service manager? It does seem like Tesla just hired all the managers from crappy dealerships and let’em loose. You can always tweet Elon... I know it’s funny but he does randomly respond.

I’d highly recommend a chrome delete from Nikola Pro Tesla Model 3 Chrome Delete | Nikola Pro but you said it’s a lease...

how difficult is that to install? I have 0.0 experience

how difficult is that to install? I have 0.0 experience

Pretty flippin easy as I had no experience either. Their videos were spot on and well done. I took my damn time because it was during quarantine and did it by myself. If I had a helping hand it would’ve gone faster than the quoted install time.

I highly recommend paying the extra $10 or whatever for the heat gun. They give you two sets of tape incase you royally mess up the first time.

Reactions: dcm3
Have access to another service center?

My rubber door seal came loose. Mine fixed it, as they did every small blemish I found on delivery. No issues with that.

On the chrome trim, it is an external surface, and I can see it argued that it is user-induced rather than factory defect. Moreover, I'd just get it wrapped, since that looks better than chrome anyway

I've thought about it even with the lease - I'm in a more rural area so it's the other SC is about 3.5 hours away.

My rubber door seal came loose. Mine fixed it, as they did every small blemish I found on delivery. No issues with that.

On the chrome trim, it is an external surface, and I can see it argued that it is user-induced rather than factory defect. Moreover, I'd just get it wrapped, since that looks better than chrome anyway
I can access another SC around 3.5 hours away versus 2.5 - maybe I'll give it a whirl. I was hoping they would provide Ranger service to our area as more and more Tesla's are out. I"m seeing quite a few and our Supercharger station get's plenty of Teslas there when I'm stop in or drive by. I may try the other SC and see what happens.

Back when I had it, my service center fixed a spot where I found missing clear coat on my model S at the 2 year mark. This was in 2018 though.