Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome window trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
The chrome window trim seems a bit "heavy handed", particularly on Teslas in darker colors.

Here:
Tesla-Model-3-being-tested-668x409.jpg

It reminds me of a Mazda 6:
mazdachrome.jpg

Or even a Honda CRV:
2017-Honda-CRV-Redesign.jpg

I guess the window surround chrome trim "brightwork" is somewhat of a Tesla signature style now (at least on Model S and Model X), but I prefer something more subdued. I would like it if they offered a "dull trim" or even "blacked out trim" option...

They teasted us with it on this:
model-3-prototype-matte-black-fremont.jpg

ceef7ff5026ddd3efbdf279139382a9d.jpg

Last edited:
damn i love that blacked out matte one. yea I'm a huge black window trim fan. the part of the tesla window trim i hate the most is the rear-most vertex point. looks just like those mazda and honda trims!

yea i wish they made it an option. sometimes the chrome works. i have a silver MS and although I thought i would need to black out the trim, it actually works with that color so i'm keeping it chrome. but on a darker or even white color car, i wouldn't hesitate to black it out.

as an example, BMWs have chrome trim, but the M sport package blacks out the trim. a subtle differentiator, but really makes a huge difference.

I think he means just the window trim and not blacking out the entire car. If just window and pillars on both sides price is about $150-200
I paid $600 for all logos front/back/sides/window for complete chrome delete. 1k wow that's alot considering you can wrap an entire car for $2500 in my area.

its probably a california thing. For a front-only xpel wrap you're looking at 1200-1500 and 4000 for a full car wrap. I've gotten multiple quotes on just the window trim and it's never been below $500. Tack on another $500 for stuff like undersill, trunk plate, handles, front louvres.

Note that it may be cheaper with plastidip b/c all the curves makes it a huge pain to wrap in vinyl. Not sure about plastidip pricing.

I agree, I would definitely choose blacked out trim if it was available.
Considering it's not an option on S or X, I would be very surprised if it will be available on the 3.
(Definitely not at launch anyway)

This is one of the best looking MS i've seen (other than the white door handles)
Custom options are a great thing for some but not for all. This is why you have so many after market companies jumping into the Tesla mix because many buyers want options. :cool:

Last edited:
Chrome trim and bright mag wheels--like my Model S--is what the market expects. I wouldn't buy a blacked-out car, nor would most buyers. Be realistic. The blacked-out look is a specialized taste, not something a mass-market car maker is likely to adopt.

I'm not sure I totally I agree with this. While totally blacked-out is probably not going to come stock from a manufacturer, black (or at least dark) rims are definitely an option these days from a lot of manufacturers as they seem more and more popular. (Plus wheel are easy because they can put on at final delivery)
My 2006 BMW 3 series had black window trim. It wasn't an individual option though. BMW actually saved the bright window (and grill slats) for the higher spec'd versions. I liked the black better. The kindey opening of the grill and model decals were the only chrome.

The only substantial chrome on the 3 will be the windows (and the connecting bit on the mirrors) They could certainly have an option for this to be dark, (we've already seen it) I just don't think they will in order to keep configuration options to a minimum.

Chrome trim and bright mag wheels--like my Model S--is what the market expects. I wouldn't buy a blacked-out car, nor would most buyers. Be realistic. The blacked-out look is a specialized taste, not something a mass-market car maker is likely to adopt.
I've bought a dozen cars and the last one that had chrome trim was a '67 Ford (no, I did't buy in 1967)