TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chrysler 200 - What I think Model 3 should look like.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ratsbew, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Every time I see a new Chrysler 200 on the road, I think to myself "THAT'S what a Model 3 should look like!". Obviously somewhat different, but the basic design looks very electric. Am I the only one?
    2015-200C.jpg
    2015chrysler200c04.jpg

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think Tesla has in mind something a lot less "conventional" than that.

3. bluenation

bluenation Member

the new 200 is a seriously good looking car. after the fugly disappointment that is the new charger look, this is possibly the company's best looking sedan.

...but it's still pretty conservative, button down look.

4. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

mazda3.jpg

I think the Mazda 3 has a better looking front.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

6. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

I agree that its a good looking car. Rear end taper even looks like it may be pretty aero. Don't understand why they went with a conventional trunk over a open hatch area though.

I think the model 3 will be a bit more unconventional as well.

7. bluenation

bluenation Member

the sonata resembles the new legacy, not the 200. they both look amazing too

and yes, the new mazda kodo stuff looks incroyable

honestly, most current gen cars are so 180 degrees from their prev gens in terms of looks, and thats a great thing.

8. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

I always liked the new Kia Optima sedan's overall looks. At a distance from the rear it reminds me of a Model S. In any case, I think the size would be perfect for Model 3.

9. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Chrysler 200 is boring. The Model 3 needs to stand out in a crowd and I fully expect it will.

10. roblab

roblab Active Member

Yeah, all these have that largish "radiator" opening in front, quite necessary for all that waste heat from the 18% efficient gas engine. Who cares about aerodynamics (Model S most aerodynamic production car in existence right now)? Yes. Model 3 will be less "conventional".

11. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Agreed, now that Tesla has established themselves and their desirability with the MS/MX I think they have the freedom to make a statement with the M3.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The challenge is to not come up with a design that is too radical and would be rejected by a significant faction of the target market.

Humans often resist change, even if the change has a rational basis and provides benefits. The Model 3 design has to provoke a strongly positive first reaction. It can't be too radical, but it does have to be distinctive, in a good way. It's a tricky balance.

13. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I don't care as much about conventional or not, but the Chrysler 200 is much closer in size to a Model S than a BMW 3 series. Therefore not really a good point of comparison.

14. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Plus, the 200 is butt ugly & boring...when I first saw that pic, I thought it was a Coda!

15. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

merc-cla.jpg

This Mercedes CLS has claims of Cd between .22 and .24. Model is .24

In any event; grills,nosecones, faux grills should be eliminated.

Model 3 should wear its EVness as a badge of honor.

vw-xl1.jpg

The VW XL1 claims a Cd of .19

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind the Model 3 having doors similar to that VW XL1 but it probably won't happen because of the additional cost.

17. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

I don't think Model 3 will come with unconventional doors either due to price but that sleek front end of the XL1 is a possible design direction.

Here is the prototype of Jaguar's 2017 3 Series fighter the XE. Mostly aluminum, RWD with AWD optional.

2017-jaguar-xe-sports-sedan-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-629788-s-original.jpg

18. SamusAranX

SamusAranX Member

Can't go wrong copying Mazda. (I'm biased though)

19. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

#19 Grendal, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    The Mazda does have nice lines but the large grill needs to go. The Model 3 will have little need for it and that would give Franz some room to play and create a unique and hopefully sporty beautiful look.

All the cars shown are somewhat similar except the XL-1. I disagree with Rob that the 3 should wear its EV-ness as a badge of courage. I want Tesla to succeed and sell 500,000 cars a year. They will not do that with something too strange and different from what people are used to.

Sorry Rob. And understand that I came here from wanting an Aptera. So lightweight and ultra efficient is where my heart sits. I just know that will not draw in the worldwide mass market.

20. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Funny, that one looks almost exactly like the current 3-series/4-series, apart from the grill. Bit lame, trying to fight something by trying to look exactly like it. Not saying that this Jag isn't a nice looking car though.