Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrysler 200 - What I think Model 3 should look like.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
merc-cla.jpg

This Mercedes CLS has claims of Cd between .22 and .24. Model is .24

And yet tests at .30
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/the-slipperiest-car-on-the-road.pdf

The challenge is to not come up with a design that is too radical and would be rejected by a significant faction of the target market.

Humans often resist change, even if the change has a rational basis and provides benefits. The Model 3 design has to provoke a strongly positive first reaction. It can't be too radical, but it does have to be distinctive, in a good way. It's a tricky balance.

All the cars shown are somewhat similar except the XL-1. I disagree with Rob that the 3 should wear its EV-ness as a badge of courage. I want Tesla to succeed and sell 500,000 cars a year. They will not do that with something too strange and different from what people are used to.

Sorry Rob. And understand that I came here from wanting an Aptera. So lightweight and ultra efficient is where my heart sits. I just know that will not draw in the worldwide mass market.

The Prius was quite successful in spite of it's odd looks, because it presented exceptional efficiency. Not that I expect the 3 to be odd looking, but it can be different and still sell quite well.

The detail that lets all of those designs down is the nose.
The gaping great holes they stick on the front for radiators are pointless on an EV.
Current car design language seems to love a grille up front - the Model S has a fake one for goodness sake.
There doesn't seem to be a good way to get around it in current car design, so I think that is where Tesla will go unconventional.

I am hoping they start with this Lotus concept:

I don't know how they could get that hood on a five passenger smallish EV. Most people's best looking car is probably a two door that is not particularly space efficient. Tesla seems to be years away from that kind of design.

I think the current Jaguar F-type is a great looking car. But I don't know what that design offers the model 3.

The car that has most often been referenced as the target - at least from what I recall seeing - is the BMW 3 series. That car and its immediate competitors, the Audi A4 and MB C-class, are only ever updated in a very evolutionary fashion precisely because this market is pretty fickle and different-for-the-sake-of-different doesn't do well. Witness the Bangle design era at BMW... they went out on a limb with the 5/6/7 series, got hell for it then had to fix them, but the 3 continued on with much more subtle updates and fared much better. The other problem is that in order for the Model 3 to really hit the widest mark it's also going to need a spacious, functional cabin and keep gimmicks like weird doors and associated hardware to a minimum for cost.
At the end of the day this all dictates some kind of relatively conventional 4-door sedan, hatchback or wagon, and if a CUV is offered like planned then I suspect a wagon is out.
I'm just hoping that they resist the urge to put in a lot of unnecessary lines/creases/bulges to give it "character", as I find that stuff doesn't age well. The most enduring and attractive shapes from the last fifty years have been simple, well proportioned, flowing curves. That's why I'd be more than happy with a scaled-down MS. I don't care that people say it's derivative of Jag, Maserati or whatever; it's super aerodynamic, space efficient, looks fabulous and still will in 10 or 20 years. The other thing not to be overlooked is that the MS has become an object of desire for a looootttt of folks (me included) and they'd be crazy not to at least keep some of that same allure in the "people's" version.

IMO it's likely that the weirdest thing about the Model 3 will be the lack of a grille. I think Tesla made a very good decision in dropping the faux grille from the Model X. It gets people used to the design language that they will be using going forward, and more importantly it makes clear that the lack of grille on the Model 3 is not a cost-saving measure. After the reveal, one of the biggest questions from pretty much everyone will be, 'how did they get the cost down to $35,000?' In the absense of the Model X, they would look at the clean space on the front - much less complicated than a car with a grille - and the word 'cheap' would inevitably come to mind, along with comparisons to the few cars thus far that didn't have a significant grille, which have mostly been weirdmobiles and econoboxes. The Model X is going to break that association for them in advance.

In all other respects I expect it to be normal; a good-looking car with similarities to the S, but not adventurous. I think they should stick with the shiny chrome door handles as a distinctive component of their design language, but I have no solid guess as to what physical form the handles will take. I doubt they'll be like most cars as that would adversely effect aerodynamics. Maybe they'll make them mostly-normal but flush, with openings above and/or below for your hand. They could pop out like the S, or auto-open like the X front doors, but I would think both of those could be needlessly expensive. It's not very clear what the X rear doors do - are they just touch panels? There are many possibilities, and it's not clear what would be the most cost-effective. I don't want to assume that a full mechanical linkage like a regular car is automatically the cheapest way to go.

No weirdmobiles to "stand out from the crowd," and no gimmicks, thank you. Somehow conventional car makers think that making EVs look weird and ugly is a good thing.

Well, now that Tesla has "mastered" their falcon wing doors the money has already been spent on the RDE. I would not be surprised if 2 falcon wing doors are cheaper to manufacture and install than 4 traditional doors.

I guess I'm a minority of one: I don't really care what the Model 3 looks like. I'm solely concerned with range (+ Supercharger access) and interior seating space and utility, which means that I prefer some sort of hatch access. I'd also prefer "simple and reliable" to fancy things, such as falcon-wing doors, that are just more unnecessary gadgets to break and need fixing.

The rest is all fluff, IMHO.

I guess I'm a minority of one: I don't really care what the Model 3 looks like. I'm solely concerned with range (+ Supercharger access) and interior seating space and utility, which means that I prefer some sort of hatch access. I'd also prefer "simple and reliable" to fancy things, such as falcon-wing doors, that are just more unnecessary gadgets to break and need fixing.

The rest is all fluff, IMHO.

Im with you. I'm looking for what would essentially be a Tesla Corolla/Civic ... Thats it really. Dont need it to look cool, dont need premium lighting, dont need spinner rims, dont need cooled seats and auto folding mirrors.

Not knocking anyone who does, but I'm just looking to get "an electric car" - I'd rather them skimp on luxuries and get it to $25k honestly than make it flashy and have it be $35k

yeah, well what if the model 3 looks like this?

Be very careful what you wish for. ;)

Yikes.That certainly is... Interesting.

I have enough confidence in the Tesla design team that I realize I can say "I dont care what it looks like" knowing full well they will very likely release an amazing looking car. So I have very little worry it will not be a monstrosity.

Although short of that monstrosity above, I'd probably buy anything they release.

No weirdmobiles to "stand out from the crowd," and no gimmicks, thank you. Somehow conventional car makers think that making EVs look weird and ugly is a good thing.
It's a good thing for them. It prevents mainstream car buyers from wanting it, while having something to offer to those who want to buy an EV. The last thing conventional car makers want is for EV sales to take off and cannibalize their line of ICE cars.