Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrysler 200 - What I think Model 3 should look like.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk and Y Combinator President on Thinking for the Future - New Establishment Summit 2015 - YouTube

Sometime in that vid he states that he mentioned the Model 3 and model Y coming, one of which would have falcon wings, then he says "I think its pretty obvious its the model Y" or something to that affect. I watched it a week ago so its a bit hazy, but that is the gist of it. He does NOT confirm that the Y is an SUV/CUV but that seems fairly likely

@21:10 starts the reference to the Model Y

Elon Musk and Y Combinator President on Thinking for the Future - New Establishment Summit 2015 - YouTube

Sometime in that vid he states that he mentioned the Model 3 and model Y coming, one of which would have falcon wings, then he says "I think its pretty obvious its the model Y" or something to that affect. I watched it a week ago so its a bit hazy, but that is the gist of it. He does NOT confirm that the Y is an SUV/CUV but that seems fairly likely

Ah OK, thank you! I hadn't seen that.

As someone who remembers that the WhiteStar sedan (ultimately the model S) was supposed to cost $50,000 and be built in Albuquerque, NM, I would take any projection about a falcon-doored Model Y (a designation that Elon reportedly said was a joke to Ford's Allan Mulally) with a grain of salt.

As someone who remembers that the WhiteStar sedan (ultimately the model S) was supposed to cost $50,000 and be built in Albuquerque, NM, I would take any projection about a falcon-doored Model Y (a designation that Elon reportedly said was a joke to Ford's Allan Mulally) with a grain of salt.

Yup. As a long time follower of Tesla... Take almost anything Elon says with a grain of salt ;-)

Although at this point the Falcon wings DO exist so the work has already been done... Whether they are seen as a net positive by the buying population remains to be seen. Maybe they find out in a year everyone hates them or they break a lot or whatever. I doubt that will happen, but you never know what happens when you release your stuff into the general population.

I've taken a lot of grains of salt from Elon over the years, its piling up.
Salt-Pile.jpg

My first thought when looking at the pictures posted to this thread (other than the Lotus concept) was "boringmobile". I also can't really tell any of them apart. I think if Tesla continues down this path they're going to lose a lot of excitement.

I recently got a Model S loaner and brought it home, and the family was excited about the interior. We absolutely loved the quality, the technology, the innovation...but the exterior is another story. My partner's first reaction to the car was to screw up her face and say "it looks like a cheap-*** Acura". My kid walked around the school parking lot for 10 minutes looking for it before I had to get out and track her down; she just couldn't tell it apart from any other cars. Tesla needs to go back to its roots; back to the car that made people accept (heck, made them excited about) electric cars:

144562546310252.jpg

That's the car that I drooled over several years before it came out. That's the car that I quit my job to start a business over. That's the car that I saved up for over half a decade to afford. The Model S isn't 'that car', but I'm certainly hoping the Model 3 is for the next generation.

I know four-door cars are difficult to design with, but not impossible. I may buy a Model 3 regardless of its looks because there aren't many options in the EV market. But if Tesla wants to capture my excitement, and keep my loyalty, I'd really like to see them return the American muscle car of which far too few remain (I'm sure they'll have the acceleration to go with it). What I'd like see:

Firehawk.jpg

Camaro.jpg

Custom Camaro.jpg

Statistically, converting those of us getting into middle age is not an easy battle. The electric car revolution is going to be won with teenagers and twenty-somethings. And if you can do that while simultaneously tugging at the nostalgia strings in the hearts of us middle-agers, who long for the pony-cars we grew up with, and manage to bridge the generations that way...

I'm fairly sure you are way off the mark with your design ideas, i.e. not going to happen. The last thing a modern EV should look like is an outdated ICE design. I'd also mention that most people disagree with your impressions of the Model S design.

I can pick a Model S out of a crowd in a blink. I think the S is a very unique looking car and I wouldn't change anything on it externally. Absolutely beautiful!

Some of those designs presented in the above post are too radical for most people. Remember that the Model 3 is the car that Tesla wants everyone to buy. It certainly won't be shooting for any niche buyers with gimmicky doors or air scoops. Personally, I've never been a fan of muscle cars -- I appreciate them, but I'd never buy one. And that's where I mentally place anything with air scoops over the engine. And yes, they do scream out, "I have a gas engine that needs cooling and/or better air flow to get the most power." Not on the Model 3, thank you.

I'm fairly sure you are way off the mark with your design ideas, i.e. not going to happen. The last thing a modern EV should look like is an outdated ICE design. I'd also mention that most people disagree with your impressions of the Model S design.

Agreed x 2
So what should a "modern EV" look like? The Leaf, with its weird, fender-length headlights and fat, ugly butt that looks like someone duct-taped half a 55 gallon drum onto the bumper as an afterthought?

Why should it look "non-ICEy"? There's nothing about the design of the S that is inherently "EV-ish"

If the 3 comes out looking like a Leaf/Juke wierdmobile, I'm out. I don't want a car that screams "look at me, I'm driving an EV. I'm better than you!". I trust that it won't, given Elon's past comments about wierdmobiles

Of course, I don't think I'd own a Camaro/Firebird, either. They may be fun to drive, but they attract way to much unwanted attention from police and teenage boys (especially with the "screaming chicken" hood decal from days of yore).

All of those designs have huge radiators, with unneeded scoops and ventilation cutouts.
EV's need none of those, so designers don't need to use them unless they are trying ape an ICE convention.
That is what happened with Model S nose cone - its just a pretend radiator grille.

That's the car that I drooled over several years before it came out. That's the car that I quit my job to start a business over. That's the car that I saved up for over half a decade to afford. The Model S isn't 'that car', but I'm certainly hoping the Model 3 is for the next generation.

I think you will get a car from Tesla that will please you, but I don't think that will be TM3 - or TMY - but maybe the Roadster NG or some other niche model they someday will make. Or maybe they will someday deliver a variant of TM3 - "Model 3 Pony Performance" (or just "3 PP" ;) ) as a 2 doors coupé. ;)

Ps: Personally I would love a design that builds on earlier American muscle cars. But I don't expect it from TM3, and I have to admit that it would not be as practical as it needs to be.

The Model 3 isn't supposed to be a muscle car. That's not the intended target. It's the car for the masses. It's supposed to be a family vehicle. The next generation Roadster is the muscle car. Patience, the next gen. Roadster is coming eventually.