Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chunk out of tire :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Valets in our building’s garage unfortunately managed to take a chunk out of one of the tires’ sidewall (about 1”x1”, hard to tell in the photo but if I were to pull on the chunk it would come out; it’s about 1-2cm deep), probably by running into the car lift.

Questions are 1) does the tire definitely need replacement (currently not leaking any air) and 2) if so, can I replace just the single tire with the same brand/model? Is it a minimum of two so that the tread on the axle matches?

Car has about 10k miles FWIW, LR RWD.

Attachments

• F1FD56AE-9B87-433C-9622-045E69B64007.jpeg
    F1FD56AE-9B87-433C-9622-045E69B64007.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 418
at 10k miles, you probably have significant enough treadwear to warrant a two tire replacement. put the old ones on the front and the new ones on the back. the situation you're in can be dangerous and if you can prove the valet did it i would see if there is a way for reimbursement.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I had a chunk of tire about the same size hanging off due to a curb rub when I first got my Model 3. The place that repaired my rim (On-Site Wheel Repair - Garden Grove, Ca) also glued the chunk of tire back in place. Has been fine for a year now without any issue. I can't even see where the repair was anymore. I don't know what type of glue they used tho.

I always thought if there was damage to the sidewall you needed to replace it as it will eventually bubble and blowout. If you have an AWD that means four new tires.

I had the same thing with a different AWD car that I tried to make it last until I traded it in and ended up getting four new.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
at 10k miles, you probably have significant enough treadwear to warrant a two tire replacement. put the old ones on the front and the new ones on the back. the situation you're in can be dangerous and if you can prove the valet did it i would see if there is a way for reimbursement.

Unfortunately the valet also did body damage during the incident; as a sort of dumb compromise, we agreed to have the shop fix the body damage but not the tire (+minor wheel rash). Surprised to hear that as little as 10k miles might warrant a two tire replacement? Do the stock tires typically need to be replaced roughly annually?

I had a chunk of tire about the same size hanging off due to a curb rub when I first got my Model 3. The place that repaired my rim (On-Site Wheel Repair - Garden Grove, Ca) also glued the chunk of tire back in place. Has been fine for a year now without any issue. I can't even see where the repair was anymore. I don't know what type of glue they used tho.

Interesting option!

If you can't see the steel belts under the bit of rubber it's less scary.. if you can, you may not know if they are damaged making a side blowout just a bit more likely

I'll take a look when I get the car back from the body repair; from memory though I think I can see some kind of silvery-looking lattice under the chunk (which I assume is the steel belts?)

Unfortunately the valet also did body damage during the incident; as a sort of dumb compromise, we agreed to have the shop fix the body damage but not the tire (+minor wheel rash). Surprised to hear that as little as 10k miles might warrant a two tire replacement? Do the stock tires typically need to be replaced roughly annually?

Compromise? Why would their be a compromise??

And 10k miles easily warrants a new pair of tires. Easily. Heck, I’m down to 6-6.5/32nds on my PS4S tires in 2k miles of mostly city driving.

I'll take a look when I get the car back from the body repair; from memory though I think I can see some kind of silvery-looking lattice under the chunk (which I assume is the steel belts?)
Presumably though if I do need to replace I have to replace two, right? Sucks to have to replace an otherwise perfectly good tire...

Time for new tires, depending on wear 1 or 2 on the axle; i got a nail in a time at about 6500 miles, the wear was low enough I only had to get one tire.. lucky me

Compromise? Why would their be a compromise??

And 10k miles easily warrants a new pair of tires. Easily. Heck, I’m down to 6-6.5/32nds on my PS4S tires in 2k miles of mostly city driving.

Ha - agree with you re: the damage, but negotiating with an NYC garage is a nightmare. I was surprised they even agreed to fix the body damage since I don't really have evidence (e.g. before/after photos of the vehicle on all sides).

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Related question - would it be alright to choose a pair of replacement tires of a different specific model, as long as they're in the same overall performance category (e.g. originals are the MXM Grand Touring All Season, choosing something other than that)? If I'm going to have to buy two of them, it seems like I'd be better off with something with better reviews like the Crossclimate+ instead of spending a bunch more for a more poorly-rated product...

Update - the bodyshop working on the car filled the missing chunk with some kind of rubber-like compound as a courtesy / without notifying me. Tire isn’t leaking and otherwise seems fine? Probably going to just leave it for the time being / try to get some more mileage out of the tires since the tread isn’t low enough to warrant replacement.

sentry wouldn’t be useful for this (doesn’t operate while car is in motion), and unfortunately we didn’t notice the damage in time to hit save for the Teslacam clip

Sorry I don't think when I first read your post and commented that the damage was definitely caused by their moving your car, not by another vehicle they were moving that brushed up against yours since you said body damage occurred too. Had a car they were moving did the damage, I would think Sentry Mode would have saved it off if enabled but then again have to wonder if a valet could tamper with the recording if trying to cover it up since they would have access to the car.

I mentioned both TelsaCam/Sentry Mode as I think some newbies don't always realize the difference. I know with v10 they have changed up the file system where saved files were stored. Haven't really checked my flashdrive out to see the difference yet. But prior to v10 any file "saved" be it Sentry or TeslaCam (manually saved) all went into the folder that most people associated with Sentry files as that's where all of those resided.

Nice to see you came back to update. Glad to hear your tire place made a repair that hopefully will hold up for you. Good luck with it.

If you have a large USB drive you may be able to recover hours of video by using a data recovery tool on the USB drive. Currently the dashcam videos are only accessible for the last hour and this is one way to maybe recover those lost videos.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset