Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Churchill Insurance - Acceleration Boost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just been on the phone to Churchill sorting out my insurance for M3LR arriving this week. I'm having some difficulty regarding the acceleration boost software upgrade.

From reading other posts, it seems most people do not have any additional premium to pay when adding on acceleration boost upgrade with Churchill. The woman I spoke to didn't know how to categorise it, the option she kept defaulting to was listed on their system as 'electrical engine enhancement'. She then had the options of <=10% increase in bhp or 11-20% bhp, etc. When she tried both of these options they were no longer able to offer me insurance.

Those of you who are with Churchill or Direct Line (same company) and have the acceleration boost, what has it been listed down as on your insurance? And am I correct in thinking there was no increase in premiums for you? Thanks.

The person I spoke to at Churchill knew about it, said 'that's just a software change isn't it', checked with his team leader then just added it as a text note to the policy. I think strictly they don't need to know, but it's good to have it noted just in case.

The person I spoke to at Churchill knew about it, said 'that's just a software change isn't it', checked with his team leader then just added it as a text note to the policy. I think strictly they don't need to know, but it's good to have it noted just in case.
It is an increase in power of between 10-20% (allegedly) and I am kind of surprised that they don't treat it that way. I don't see how it is any less of an issue than re-mapping the ECU on an ICE which is also a software change to achieve more power?
I always assumed the increase in premium for this stuf was due to the increased performance. if it's down to the risks from dodgy 3rd party mods then fair enough this is a Tesla sanctioned software update so not the same. Otherwise it seems inconsistent. I think the industry has just not caught up to OTA updates yet.
Hope not though otherwise next time we all get a 5% OTA power boost we will all be on the hook for higher premiums!

Thanks. I think I'll just call back and try another agent. The one I spoke to today was adamant my premium would be increased! Fingers crossed I get another who knows what they're doing and just notes it down without any premium difference.

With DL, the person I spoke with originally tried to list the acceleration boost as a modification & that would have resulted in an additional £50 premium. I explained that others have not been charged so on checking with a supervisor, she was told that the boost should just be listed in the notes, without additional premium.

Just get the car as standard and insure it, then call to add the performance boost afterwards.

Yes, I haven't called them yet and I've done as mentioned above - insured as normal then I'll call in a few days once I've picked up the car tomorrow and checked I do indeed want to lay down another £1500 (it might be fast enough already!!). Will report back here once I've called them again.

If I run into a wall again with them, I'll keep calling back until they honour it for free like others! :D

For anyone that has done this what do you get?

the acceleration (I know)
but does the software unlock to give a lot of the features in performance model?
Or is it purely the acceleration?

genuinely asking for a friend! Who is between getting the performance or getting the long range with a boost... I’m tempted but I know I’ll find the LR fast so I’m fine with that for a good while for sure!

When it comes down to it, there are probably only a very tiny number of non-electric cars in the whole of the UK that are quicker off the line than a bog standard Model 3 LR AWD. Years ago, the fastest bike I've ever owned (Kawasaki Z1000) was roughly similar in performance, although the Model 3 feels quicker off the line. I've owned a few high performance cars over the years, but none come close to the 0 to 30 performance of the Model 3, and I've not opted for the acceleration boost, the only difference from basic LR spec on my Model 3 are the 19" wheels.

When it comes down to it, there are probably only a very tiny number of non-electric cars in the whole of the UK that are quicker off the line than a bog standard Model 3 LR AWD. Years ago, the fastest bike I've ever owned (Kawasaki Z1000) was roughly similar in performance, although the Model 3 feels quicker off the line. I've owned a few high performance cars over the years, but none come close to the 0 to 30 performance of the Model 3, and I've not opted for the acceleration boost, the only difference from basic LR spec on my Model 3 are the 19" wheels.

I’m sure I’ll find it amazing! The inventory model I’m collecting on Friday (yay!) is coming with the 19” wheels and I wouldn’t have picked them as was happy with Aeros, some videos claim its louder by 1db with the 19’s but I couldn’t hear the noise - it seems they lose a tiny bit of range vs the 18’s and a good bit on the 18” Aeros clipped on - did you just choose them for looks? Or is it to do with the difference handling? Curious on the reasons ppl are picking them and what made you choose them?

When it comes down to it, there are probably only a very tiny number of non-electric cars in the whole of the UK that are quicker off the line than a bog standard Model 3 LR AWD. Years ago, the fastest bike I've ever owned (Kawasaki Z1000) was roughly similar in performance, although the Model 3 feels quicker off the line. I've owned a few high performance cars over the years, but none come don close to the 0 to 30 performance of the Model 3, and I've not opted for the acceleration boost, the only difference from basic LR spec on my Model 3 are the 19" wheels.
I absolutely agree. I had a race tuned 650 Bonneville. The standard Bonnie 0-60 was about 5.6 s. Got it down to 4.6s. Still not as fast as a bog standard LR. None of the sporty ICE’s I’ve owned ever pinned my head to the restraint like the M3.
Happy to live without sport mode and keep the range.

I’m sure I’ll find it amazing! The inventory model I’m collecting on Friday (yay!) is coming with the 19” wheels and I wouldn’t have picked them as was happy with Aeros, some videos claim its louder by 1db with the 19’s but I couldn’t hear the noise - it seems they lose a tiny bit of range vs the 18’s and a good bit on the 18” Aeros clipped on - did you just choose them for looks? Or is it to do with the difference handling? Curious on the reasons ppl are picking them and what made you choose them?

I didn't like the look of the aeros, and also didn't like the grey colour of the standard wheels with the aero covers removed, so went for the silver 19" wheels. Any range difference is way down in the noise, as range can vary by 20% to 30% just with the weather and changes in driving style, so a couple of percent from having non-aero wheels is pretty trivial. The real range is rarely anything like the mythical range in the spec, anyway, much the same as the real mpg of an ICE car rarely matches the advertised mpg. Sometimes the range gets close to the advertised figure, but most of the time it's way less. Doesn't take much to give the range a big hit, motorway speeds, rain, cold weather, etc will all hit range fairly hard, as will using the acceleration that's available under your right foot, which is very hard to just ignore.

Reactions: M3-Newbie
I’m sure I’ll find it amazing! The inventory model I’m collecting on Friday (yay!) is coming with the 19” wheels ....Curious on the reasons ppl are picking them and what made you choose them?
Purely appearance - I've always felt that the white bodywork, chrome trim & silver alloys complement each other really well. For any other colour combination with dark alloys or aeros, chrome delete would be a must for me, it looks fabulous (19" with other colours - either trim is OK).

Reactions: M3-Newbie
Thanks for the insight guys. Would the acc boaster have a negative impact on the range? I understand more you throttle, it would lose its range but in terms of normal driving. Any noticeable drops? Also what about top-end speeds, does it increase?

Thanks for the insight guys. Would the acc boaster have a negative impact on the range? I understand more you throttle, it would lose its range but in terms of normal driving. Any noticeable drops? Also what about top-end speeds, does it increase?
fundamentally it should not since the even more powerful M3P has the same EPA range as the M3LR
And if you just use it for occasional overtaking you will probably notice no difference but if you choses to regularly avail yourself of the additional performance out of every corner/junction/roundabout then physics says there will be a price to pay.