Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Churchill Insurance - Acceleration Boost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
curious what people would expect if they have an issue with the car that involves it being written off. Would they expect the value of the car to be £1500 higher considering you've added AB which is now lost with the car? If so doesn't that mean they're insuring a more valuable car which could impact premiums regardless of the performance difference.

Likewise with EAP/FSD - those are really expensive so you'd presumably want some of that back if written off?
I guess the frustration is they would insure we with a Performance, but not a LR with AB!? How does that work?? Im not that worried about cost of the AB being lost - more finding myself without valid insurance were anything to ever happen.

I told Churchill that AB is a manufacturer software-only upgrade just like the regular ongoing updates we get (one of the early upgrades also included a 0.5s performance boost). This is not an actual 'modification'.

The Churchill advisor then talked with a supervisor and agreed that this was OK without additional premium so a note was added to my file mentioning the addition of AB.

I had a web chat with Direct Line testing the water about AB last week, I explicitly said it was an optional, paid for software upgrade from Tesla and the response was that if it's a software update from the manufacturer they don't need to be told about it and it will be covered on my standard policy. Doesn't feel quite right but they just didn't seem too interested in it.

Direct line have the bhp as 527 and according to Tesla Model Y Long Range Dual Motor it has 507 so maybe AB adds an extra 20. So may be they are insuring for the higher bhp value.
There is no way the MY LR has 507 bhp, even with AB so from a power point of view you can argue it is already covered.

What isn't clear though is if you had a total loss, would your insurance company give you the extra £1,500 to re-purchase AB - unlikely, especially if it isn't listed on the policy.

Reactions: t0ne
Yes you are correct, direct line have it as 507.
There’s definitely something wrong with how they’re rating the outputs. I’ve just changed from a M3LR to a M3P and my insurance with DL has gone down (only £14 but down despite a more expensive, newer and quicker car (all other criteria stayed the same)). They asked about the BHP of the M3P and they had it as 483 (there was no other option) so maybe they have the LR (and LR with AB) as having more power for some reason.

Reactions: t0ne