Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cigarette Lighter blown Fuse Blackvue dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just some advice. I had a piece of tin foil fall into my cigarette lighter that was large enough to hit the contacts and this blew the fuse my Blackvue dashcam was on. The tech told me they see that all the time with coins and paperclips etc and that Tesla's were prone to this because of the port being at the bottom of the console and angled down.

If you haven't, get some type of plug to keep in your cigarette lighter port to avoid this.

Just some advice. I had a piece of tin foil fall into my cigarette lighter that was large enough to hit the contacts and this blew the fuse my Blackvue dashcam was on. The tech told me they see that all the time with coins and paperclips etc and that Tesla's were prone to this because of the port being at the bottom of the console and angled down.

If you haven't, get some type of plug to keep in your cigarette lighter port to avoid this.
My 12V power socket has a protective cap over it that flips up. Does yours not?

(Old habits die hard... I still refer to the accelerator as the "gas pedal" every so often then before catching myself. And I certainly remember how that 12V port in every car used to contain a different kind of plug that you pushed in until it glowed red hot...)

• Funny
Reactions: bnsfengineer
Which brings up an interesting point - why haven't we switched to a more sensibly designed power outlet in cars than something made to light cigarettes? Sure most cars have at least one USB port these days, but wouldn't something like a barrel plug (like on most laptops) make more sense?

• Love
Reactions: Fiddler
Actually I wanted to post ... one of the possible reasons for the hesitation is the aftermartket items that still use the plug for power. e.i. blackvue camera and the tesla wheel pump.
But that's because every car still has a cig lighter. Change the form factor to a 2.1mm barrel plug, like many DC power adapters in your house, and within a few years everything will switch to this - just like when the iPhone/iPod switched from the old 30 pin connector to the lightning connector. And we will save space because the connectors are way smaller since they aren't meant to contain a fire starter.

Reactions: Fiddler

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately this happened to me, do you know how to fix it? Is it simply replacing a fuse, and if so, which one (where is it?)

"Unfortunately this happened to me, do you know how to fix it? Is it simply replacing a fuse, and if so, which one (where is it?)

I think it's F35, but fuses can be tricky. Be careful. Don't pull random fuses. Test them first.

Attachments

• Tesla MS 12VFuse qCpVwrOEEYXmF2EL.jpg
    Tesla MS 12VFuse qCpVwrOEEYXmF2EL.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 140