TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cigarette lighter stopped working

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ModelSFL, May 19, 2016.

1. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

I was using an tire pump which plugged into the cigarette lighter and after about a few minutes of use, the pump stopped working. The power plug was very hot.

Now the cigarette lighter doesn't work at all. All phone chargers stopped working.

Is there a fuse somewhere I can check?

2. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

#2 Skotty, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Yes. I may even have a picture of it...checking...

The users manual should have a picture showing your fuse box layout. It may be different depending on year and options. But there should be a separate fuse for the cigarette-style power socket. On my 2014 P85 it was fuse #35 in fuse box #2. Fuse boxes are under the cover under the frunk hood. Most of the fuses are the small blade type.

There's ane example pic of the fuse box layout here (post #489) Lighted Tesla T for nosecone

And here's a pic of where the fuse boxes are under my hood; should be similar (in this pic, the cover is off of one of the boxes). Can't remember which box is #1 and which is #2, but you should be able to figure it out from the user's manual.

lighter-fuse-1.jpg

• Like x 1
  3. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

In my copy of the manual fuse access is described on pages 149 and 152-57. Looks like you want #58.

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

cigarette lighter? we have those in our cars?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I think this is it (fuse was removed when picture was taken, so the slot is empty). Again, this is for my 2014 P85, and it could be different for different years and option combos.

cig-fuse-2014p85.jpg

• Like x 1
  6. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

No, not factory, but we do have the cigarette lighter socket. You could probably grab an old cigarette lighter from a salvage yard and stuff it in there. :) Lots of folks now just call it a 12v power outlet or something like that, but I still like to call it a cigarette lighter socket as that original use is the only reason for it's otherwise dumb design.

7. whitex

whitex Member

I wouldn't try that. Something tells me the 12V socket is not meant to handle a glowing hot metal.

8. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

#8 Skotty, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    You are probably right, which makes it even more silly that we still use that style of plug. Why doesn't one of the standards bodies come up with a new proposed standard for 12v power sockets? Sure, we might end up having to deal with annoying adapters for awhile, but in the end, it would be for the better.

EDIT -- I tried to find a product for lighting cigarettes that is powered by a 12v aux power port in a car just to expand on the absurdity, but couldn't immediately find anything.

9. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

@Skotty Thanks so much! I will take a look at those fuses. I much rather do some basic troubleshooting than bringing in the car for service (as Tesla is suggesting).

10. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Easy.

First this:
    [​IMG]

Then attach this:

[​IMG]

And voila:

[​IMG]

You're golden.

[​IMG]

(Sorry to hijack the thread but it seems the fuse issue got worked out)

• Funny x 2
  11. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

For anyone wondering, the fuse which @Skotty showed a picture of is correct for at least the 2014 Model S 60 as well. Tesla calls it the "12V Power Socket" and it is F35.

It was a simple fuse replacement. I am really not sure why Tesla would advise customers to bring it in though. It was just like any other vehicle I have ever owned but located in a different spot. When I spoke to Tesla they made it sound like some daunting task. It took all of 5 minutes to replace.

12. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Most of the time around here I'm just yammering about this or that. Glad I could actually be helpful for a change. :)