Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cigarette lighter stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was using an tire pump which plugged into the cigarette lighter and after about a few minutes of use, the pump stopped working. The power plug was very hot.

Now the cigarette lighter doesn't work at all. All phone chargers stopped working.

Is there a fuse somewhere I can check?

Yes. I may even have a picture of it...checking...

The users manual should have a picture showing your fuse box layout. It may be different depending on year and options. But there should be a separate fuse for the cigarette-style power socket. On my 2014 P85 it was fuse #35 in fuse box #2. Fuse boxes are under the cover under the frunk hood. Most of the fuses are the small blade type.

There's ane example pic of the fuse box layout here (post #489) Lighted Tesla T for nosecone

And here's a pic of where the fuse boxes are under my hood; should be similar (in this pic, the cover is off of one of the boxes). Can't remember which box is #1 and which is #2, but you should be able to figure it out from the user's manual.

lighter-fuse-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ModelSFL
cigarette lighter? we have those in our cars?

No, not factory, but we do have the cigarette lighter socket. You could probably grab an old cigarette lighter from a salvage yard and stuff it in there. :) Lots of folks now just call it a 12v power outlet or something like that, but I still like to call it a cigarette lighter socket as that original use is the only reason for it's otherwise dumb design.

I wouldn't try that. Something tells me the 12V socket is not meant to handle a glowing hot metal.

You are probably right, which makes it even more silly that we still use that style of plug. Why doesn't one of the standards bodies come up with a new proposed standard for 12v power sockets? Sure, we might end up having to deal with annoying adapters for awhile, but in the end, it would be for the better.

EDIT -- I tried to find a product for lighting cigarettes that is powered by a 12v aux power port in a car just to expand on the absurdity, but couldn't immediately find anything.

Last edited:
You are probably right, which makes it even more silly that we still use that style of plug. Why doesn't one of the standards bodies come up with a new proposed standard for 12v power sockets? Sure, we might end up having to deal with annoying adapters for awhile, but in the end, it would be for the better.

EDIT -- I tried to find a product for lighting cigarettes that is powered by a 12v aux power port in a car just to expand on the absurdity, but couldn't immediately find anything.

Easy.

First this:
61tZOYvKwkL._SX425_.jpg

Then attach this:

41zGFp0xKqL._SY355_.jpg

And voila:

usb-lighter3.jpg

You're golden.

obama-marijuana.jpg

(Sorry to hijack the thread but it seems the fuse issue got worked out)

• Funny
Reactions: Skotty and GHammer
For anyone wondering, the fuse which @Skotty showed a picture of is correct for at least the 2014 Model S 60 as well. Tesla calls it the "12V Power Socket" and it is F35.

It was a simple fuse replacement. I am really not sure why Tesla would advise customers to bring it in though. It was just like any other vehicle I have ever owned but located in a different spot. When I spoke to Tesla they made it sound like some daunting task. It took all of 5 minutes to replace.

IMG-6239.jpg
IMG-6240.jpg
InkedIMG-6237_LI.jpg
I have a 2015 P90D. My air inflator stopped working and I realized I had blown the 12V socket fuse. Make sure any air inflator is significantly under 15A. Changing fuse in passenger footwell is not difficult, but you have to pull the doorsill trim and you will need 3 new clips to replace the trim. Fuse is a 15A MICRO2 fuse.

Fuze box 1 looks like it is on/over top of the battery, Fuze box 2 has the 12v cigarette lighter fuze in position F35 just as Skotty stated. 2013 model S Base.
Should the two USB ports have power as well? Seems that neither one will power my dash cam but there is light in the usb port, suggesting power is present.