Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cigarette lighter with ~15V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a new Model x Plaid, and am noticing that my cigarette lighter ports have about 15.5V. Should it be this high? And can this damage so-called 12V accessories?

I went through a couple cheap air compressors; they were crap anyway, and would run poorly on my other regular gas vehicle with about 14V at the ports. But on the Tesla, the compressor would just die. Not sure if the higher voltage damaged it in some way.

Thanks for any feedback!

Hello, I have a new Model x Plaid, and am noticing that my cigarette lighter ports have about 15.5V. Should it be this high? And can this damage so-called 12V accessories?

I went through a couple cheap air compressors; they were crap anyway, and would run poorly on my other regular gas vehicle with about 14V at the ports. But on the Tesla, the compressor would just die. Not sure if the higher voltage damaged it in some way.

Thanks for any feedback!
12V tools and automotive accessories are rated to run from 12V (or lower) to well over 16 Volts. It is not unlike most electronic devices that are rated to run from 100 to 250 VAC. Think of al the other things on board that run from "12V" such as the lights, entertainment systems, small motors etc. 12v tools and accessories will be just fine.

Upvote 0
There seems to be two areas of concern with the 15.5V system:

1. Anything with something that spins, such as a fan, refrigerator, compressors. etc.
2. DC to AC inverter (check the acceptable input range on the inverter)

I have not tried this because as I do not need it, but something like this may be needed?

Upvote 0
15.5V is a fairly standard equalization voltage when charging a lead-acid battery - so no problem at all. Fuggedaboutit. Above 16.2 is getting into the unexpectedly high region. DC motors (your compressor) are usually very forgiving on range of voltage. Unfortunately, lots of aftermarket garbage sold nowadays so not surprising that a cheapo aftermarket compressor croaked (at any voltage). Any well-designed plug-in 12V item should be able to handle voltages in the range of 10-18V.

Upvote 0
12V tools and automotive accessories are rated to run from 12V (or lower) to well over 16 Volts. It is not unlike most electronic devices that are rated to run from 100 to 250 VAC. Think of al the other things on board that run from "12V" such as the lights, entertainment systems, small motors etc. 12v tools and accessories will be just fine.
Thank you for the info!

Upvote 0
Does anyone know of a compatible inverter I can use to get about 150 or so watts of 120 Volt AC from my 15.5 VDC, 2022 Plaid Model X Tesla in case of a power outage?

Or maybe even a way to have a few hundred AC watts for an electric blanket or two?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know of a compatible inverter I can use to get about 150 or so watts of 120 Volt AC from my 15.5 VDC, 2022 Plaid Model X Tesla in case of a power outage?

Or maybe even a way to have a few hundred AC watts for an electric blanket or two?
An inverter expecting 13.8V would probably still work at 15.5. But that battery is very small probably only a few amp/hours available.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
Upvote 0
Most DC - AC inverters have a high voltage cut off of 15.5v +/- 1v. My tesla Y has a low voltage circuit of 15.54v and 3 inverters tried in the last week have gone into fault state immediately.
Correct. That is why, in the owners manual, it tells you that any accessories you plan to use, must support 16v. Many do not (as you have already discovered).

Upvote 0
Anyone knows how to keep cigarette lighter plug alive when the car is off?
Also, any fuse spec on front (cabin) and rear (trunk) plugs?
I think rear one might be 15A and the front 20A
Looking for some real spec
Having Sentry Mode on keeps the usb ports alive. Camp Mode keeps the accessory outlets alive, just don't forget to lock the car when you leave.

Upvote 0
I'm still not clear why the power socket is off with sentry mode enabled

Attachments

• IMG_9236.jpg
    IMG_9236.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 0