Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Citations for charging our car at Yellowstone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I visited Yellowstone National Park last weekend with our Model X. Neither of us had been there for 35 years and we were eager to see the magnificent sights in the park with a clean vehicle. Since Yellowstone is so big and the charging opportunities are so few I was anxious to plug in wherever I could. While visiting the Old Faithful area I plugged into a 14-50 receptacle near the Post Office. When we returned to our car a park police officer was waiting. He was noticeably upset and said that we were parked illegally (we were since I was off the pavement close to the receptacle) and that it was not a Tesla charging station. Moreover, he said that I was stealing electricity. Anyway, 40 minutes later, I got two citations: one for parking illegally and one for misappropriation of funds. The second one requires that I appear in court in Yellowstone in November. (We live in California). They had me smooth over the tire prints in the dirt so that other people wouldn't get the wrong idea that they could drive off the pavement. Also, he pulled out my charging cable so that he could hold it hostage at the ranger station to ensure that I would not drive away. Since the car was locked this broke the locking tab on the charging port. So beware fellow EV drivers--don't plug in just anywhere at Yellowstone.

I would fill out a customer survey and let them know how you feel. If you have to go to court make them earn the tax they are levying on you. Is it posted on the plug that only X can use it? If I had been the officer I would have written a warning, what a prick (maybe if I worked at a National Park I would be prick too, probably a thankless job).

Happy Public Lands Day! National Public Lands Day - NPS Celebrates! (U.S. National Park Service) you can visit our park for free, but we will get revenue some other way.

Reactions: P85_DA
You could argue that having that plug there is an "attractive nuisance" that would attract someone in your situation.

That you not trying to do anything wrong....but it was right there.

Maybe a small fine. Also might make the park aware that the EV fleet is being underserved and they should be proactive in supplying charging opportunities for those visitors.

Man that sucks! I was there last month but with an ICE minivan. I only saw 1 Model S in the week that I was there. I saw some people posted online that the Old Faithful Inn parking lot has a couple of charging stations; is that not true? Was it a ranger or a cop? All the rangers that I met there were very nice and professional. We approached them and chatted just about anything relating to the park. That cop or whoever he is is a prick. If you don't want people using it, then put up a sign. It is a public place after all. And making you appear in court over $5 worth of electricity, knowing full well most folks aren't from Wyoming or Montana. Such a prick.

im more pissed off about the fact the park police broke the charge port pulling out the cord.

Obviously shouldn't have plugged in, sure that's clear now.

To me this is the bigger issue, its one thing for them to unplug the UMC from the 14-50, it's another thing entirely for them to intentionally damage your property in order to "hold it hostage". Unplug the 14-50 and write the tickets, no need to go off the deep end and damage property. I would be in contact with their superiors and if necessary an attorney.

Obviously shouldn't have plugged in, sure that's clear now.

To me this is the bigger issue, its one thing for them to unplug the UMC from the 14-50, it's another thing entirely for them to intentionally damage your property in order to "hold it hostage". Unplug the 14-50 and write the tickets, no need to go off the deep end and damage property. I would be in contact with their superiors and if necessary an attorney.

he was no doubt jealous and hated your car the second he laid eyes on it. writing a ticket and putting it on the windshield would've been more than enough instead of waiting around for you. And this is why crimes go unnoticed in public parks because the "police" are too busy doing asinine things like this.

There’s the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

I do not feel the public was served.

Model X owners are probably among the lowest tier of trouble makers in society.

I would tell the judge you “stole” $5 worth of electricity and you happy to pay that along with your apologies.

The rest along can frak off.

I agree with asking first but I have a feeling if person 1 said it was ok, officer fraktard would have screwed over OP anyway.