Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

City doesn’t approve to install neurio inside electrical panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my solar installed (no powerwall) and received permission to operate on October 2021. Using the tesla app, I noticed there’s no home usage. I called technical support and reported it. After calling them a few times, the lady that took my case said that there’s a note in my record that the local operation team did not have enough room to install the neurio in my electrical panel. Tech support said, they will need to confirm this note with the operation team. Then I wait for a few weeks and finally got the response. Tesla tech support is now stating that the city of montebello doesn’t allow to install anything in my electrical panel.

I’m disappointment and confused at the same time. First they told me that they did not have enough room to install the neurio and now they’re saying that it’s not within the city guidelines.

I replied back to the tech support and asked to check this. So far no response. I asked them to check if neo gateway can be installed instead. The device between the inverter and electrical panel.

Anybody out there has the same experience? Can Tesla install the neo gateway instead of the neurio?

It is possible that the design of your panel is mechanically incompatible with the Neurio Current Transformers. The only place to put the CTs may be on the conductors before the meter. That is usually not allowed because it's in the locked section of the panel and would be disallowed by your city or utility. The only other way to monitor the grid in this kind of panel would be a rope type current transducer. However, I've never seen those used with Neurio meters.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
So this is supposedly the City saying this (second reason) and not your utility? I could see the first reason if the panel was full physically. Have you confirmed this with someone from the City’s building department? If you got PTO then your City’s building inspector was already there.

I got my solar installed (no powerwall) and received permission to operate on October 2021. Using the tesla app, I noticed there’s no home usage. I called technical support and reported it. After calling them a few times, the lady that took my case said that there’s a note in my record that the local operation team did not have enough room to install the neurio in my electrical panel. Tech support said, they will need to confirm this note with the operation team. Then I wait for a few weeks and finally got the response. Tesla tech support is now stating that the city of montebello doesn’t allow to install anything in my electrical panel.

I’m disappointment and confused at the same time. First they told me that they did not have enough room to install the neurio and now they’re saying that it’s not within the city guidelines.

I replied back to the tech support and asked to check this. So far no response. I asked them to check if neo gateway can be installed instead. The device between the inverter and electrical panel.

Anybody out there has the same experience? Can Tesla install the neo gateway instead of the neurio?
This is just BS on Telsa side. I am in the same boat and they told me "it is not compatible". they just want to save money. Thats all.