Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

City-EL on Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EV_de

Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47
Jun 11, 2009
Germany, IN
... and the Vectrix too ...

owners bloc

newspaper

E-Mobile(s) on Fire ...

bloc47pe133gbgfwa.jpg

That's unfortunate. Of course this sort of thing happens so often with gas-burners that it doesn't even qualify as news. I'll still take an EV in the garage over 10 to 20 gallons of flammable, explosive fuel in a confined space with the furnace pilot light, not to mention the lethal fumes those crazy gas-burners emit.

I agree with tomsax, this kind of thing happens all the time with ICE cars.

I have rudimentary German skills (I had teenager fluency many many years ago) and in struggling through the owner's story I didn't see any mention of what might have started the fire? EV_de, can you tell us if he says?

Right, it wouldn't be news at all if it wasn't electric. In the past I've seen two (ICE) cars that were actively going up in flames; I just happened across them while driving. For that to happen it must be a pretty common occurrance. And they really BURN! The flames go 50 feet up in the air. And the firefighters can't do much about it, they just sit there watching until it burns itself out.

I have rudimentary German skills (I had teenager fluency many many years ago) and in struggling through the owner's story I didn't see any mention of what might have started the fire? EV_de, can you tell us if he says?
He said:
Ich habe keinen Schimmer, was es war - aber so richtig wird das auch nicht rauszufinden sein.
Dafür ist zu wenig übrig.
Which (roughly) means "I have no inkling what it was -- but to really find out won't be possible either. For that too little is left over."

... thats more or less exactly what he sayed ...

the fire started inside the City-EL during charging, no details yet about the reason.

The Smiles AG (Citycom AG) may have interest to investigate the problem.

Hmmmm...

Looks to me like the lithium ion batteries went into thermal runaway. I had a City El which was converted to run on Lithium ion and it was just fine - but I did have to install a complex battery management system to get it to behave.

Looking at the pictures of the battery box there are certainly non-standard wiring all over the back of the car.

I think this is a case of a hobbyist's car going bang after the batteries overcharged.

It's sad when that happens. And scary.

My PHEV Prius went the same way when the battery pack went into thermal runaway. It was completely my own fault, and changed my mind on cutting corners!

Nikki.

That's unfortunate. Of course this sort of thing happens so often with gas-burners that it doesn't even qualify as news. I'll still take an EV in the garage over 10 to 20 gallons of flammable, explosive fuel in a confined space with the furnace pilot light, not to mention the lethal fumes those crazy gas-burners emit.
Actually, it is news when the car in question has a prancing horse on its badge: http://jalopnik.com/5627034/ferrari-458-italia-to-finally-be-recalled-tonight