TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

City Supercharging

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Owner, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Owner

Owner Active Member

Elon distinguished two types of supercharging in the future and created a new class of superchargers "city superchargers" for apartment dwellers vs. long distance traveling that will be slower to charge.

I'm curious what this will be exactly. Any speculations?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I was intrigued by that, also. Something between an 80 Amp HPWC and a 'normal' Supercharger? Wonder what timeframe for what added level of charge he was thinking about? Leaving your car there all night? I hope not... While you had a meal? How would that work? Not sure how this works 'downtown', exactly....

3. Owner

Owner Active Member

And in dense cities where are they going to find the space?
    Are these private superchargers that a large condo complex may install?

4. Miatafanatic77

Miatafanatic77 New Member

Agreed. There are more questions then answers. Lets wait for the release.

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I wonder if this is related to the charging trial that we heard about. (That was in the UK right?)

I assume it is intended for things like apartment buildings where you will be parked all night, and the system spreads out the available power to the cars that need it. (Sort of like the large charger install, 100 stations?, at a university in CA.)

The one feature that I think will be needed is a way to say that I will need x% by y so that you get priority charging speed over the people that don't need it right away.

6. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

From the shareholder meeting transcript:
    I think (and hope) he was talking about having a many-headed, load-balancing Supercharger. I hope that wasn't just Elon thinking up an idea on the spot.

It would make sense to me for Tesla to be working on a more flexible Supercharger setup with more heads,.

Current Superchargers are 2-headed and (I seem to recall from others' comments) share power in chunks of 30kW.
    Rather than balancing between either of a pair, it would be better if a site could balance across all cars that are plugged in.. It would really help cars charge faster and be better able to cope with varying charging speeds.
    For an urban daily Supercharger, it would be better to be able to balance down to the 10kW level.

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

#8 MP3Mike, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    I think it does already. (I think it starts at a minimum of 30kW and then can step up 10kW at a time.)

9. miimura

miimura Active Member

Existing Superchargers share in roughly 10kW increments. Each charger module in the cabinet has to be connected to one car or the other.

I'm not sure Supercharging is the right solution for a high rise parking garage. I would think that centrally managed EVSEs with a couple PowerPacks would be an optimal solution. If you're managing the charging load based on the feed for the entire building, but you're not responsible for paying for the energy for the whole building, then you could forego the PowerPacks and just modulate the AC charging so that it doesn't overload the building feed.

10. arg

arg Supporting Member

Elon originally announced the concept of city superchargers at the UK Model S first-delivery event (2014), nominally on an experimental basis and reflecting the fact that London has an unusually high proportion of expensive homes (ie. places where potential Model S owners might live) without on-street parking.

The timing also reflected the fact that their plan for UK superchargers had gone down the drain (well, into a sticky legal dispute) a few weeks before launch and they needed something positive to announce, plus the fact they had spare supercharger cabinets that couldn't be installed at the originally intended sites.

In terms of where to find the space, those pilot city-centre superchargers were installed at hotels and modern shopping malls with (typically) underground carparks. There hasn't been much expansion since that original roll-out (indeed, one location has closed because the hotel concerned suffered a gas explosion and had to be rebuilt; they seem to have given up on putting the supercharger back after the building work was done).

11. martinicus

martinicus Member

I've been thinking about how they are going to do the superchargers in Manhattan. I suppose they could buy some parking lot but the property is not cheap at all. Most expensive in the country. More likely they could use a floor in parking garages, although most garages here are valet-only. I wonder if they would do fully-valet superchargers? Would people be willing to just hand their keys over? The costs are going to be so high for them in any case.