Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Claim recanted] Autopilot blamed for accident in Minnesota

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I find amazing is how all of us tesla drivers are perfect. In fact, I don't think that there has been a tesla driver that has crashed their car due as a result of their own actions since the rollout of auto pilot. Its actually pretty amazing.....when you reference tesla accidents with accidents in cars over the general population.
Now if we could just get that auto pilot to stop crashing our cars the world would be totally rosy

I really wonder what's the point of even asking the AP question after someone has just gotten into an accident. In that moment they're dazed, confused, and likely angry.

In any case this kind of thing is why we can't have nice things.

Here is a 58 year old adult with likely decades of driving experience. Despite that he got himself into an easily preventable accident.

AP can't be blamed for the accident, but it's likely the existence of it played a role.

Why'd he engage it right before coming up to an intersection with a major left hand turn?

Why'd he use the throttle? Was it trying to slow down (TACC slows down for corners) and he overrode it?

So it becomes this ridiculous accident, and as a result our insurance rates go up. So far I've seen dumb accident after dumb accident when it comes Tesla drivers.

It's a boneheadedly simple mechanism. You engage TACC/AP, and it accelerates up to the set point. In certain situations this isn't what you want so leave it off, or hit the brakes when it does.

Yeah, so... probably time to change the thread title.

It sort of sounds like he did have TACC enabled and doesn't how it works or wasn't using it appropriately. As others have mentioned, pressing the accelerator does not disengage TACC.

I suspect he had TACC on, was following another vehicle and was manually accelerating to compensate for the follow-me distance; once the vehicle he was following turned at the intersection; TACC automatically accelerated (resumed) to it's set point, as designed...