Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clanking noise from rear [car is bagged]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
I recently bagged my car and it has been perfect until yesterday.
I did a tire rotation and put 20mm spacers on the rear. Did clearance checks and everything was good.
I then went out and about and when driving I was hearing a strange clanking sound from the rear.
I pulled the spacers off and checked all suspension components. They all seem secure. Axle shafts have slight play (I’m guessing in spec). Even without the spacers it is still making the noise.

The noise only really happens at lower speeds on small bumps. Fast speed and bigger bumps do not make the noise. Turning doesn’t affect it, neither does acceleration.

Hey all,
I recently bagged my car and it has been perfect until yesterday.
I did a tire rotation and put 20mm spacers on the rear. Did clearance checks and everything was good.
I then went out and about and when driving I was hearing a strange clanking sound from the rear.
I pulled the spacers off and checked all suspension components. They all seem secure. Axle shafts have slight play (I’m guessing in spec). Even without the spacers it is still making the noise.

The noise only really happens at lower speeds on small bumps. Fast speed and bigger bumps do not make the noise. Turning doesn’t affect it, neither does acceleration.
Any update on this? I've been having this issue on my 2017 model S for 6+ months now. I took the car in to Tesla 4 times but each time, they denied that they can duplicate the noise even after the technician recognized during the test drive with me.

A Google search shows this. Am I correct?

Attachments

• damper.jpg
    damper.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: cdutch513