Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clanky sound when car shuts down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I exit the Model S and lock the doors, I can hear the AC and various fans slow and shut down. At the end of that "power down" cycle, I hear a slight clanky/knocking sound. It's like a fan blade clipping something as it comes to stop. I've had my car in and out of clear bra, tinting, and paint/body shops (the last one to fix factory defects) since delivery that I can't tell if the noise is new or not, but intuitively it seems like it shouldn't happen.

I'll try to post a video with the sounds tomorrow, but any thoughts from the experts here would be great.

Thanks.

When I exit the Model S and lock the doors, I can hear the AC and various fans slow and shut down. At the end of that "power down" cycle, I hear a slight clanky/knocking sound. It's like a fan blade clipping something as it comes to stop. I've had my car in and out of clear bra, tinting, and paint/body shops (the last one to fix factory defects) since delivery that I can't tell if the noise is new or not, but intuitively it seems like it shouldn't happen.

I'll try to post a video with the sounds tomorrow, but any thoughts from the experts here would be great.

Thanks.

While IANAE (I am not an expert)...

Does this happen every time?

There are louvers. I wonder if one is impacted somehow.

Happily, there aren’t many things it could be (due to there being so many fewer moving parts), and Tesla tends to be pretty good at noise analysis.

Next time it happens, it might be worth noting the date and time as well as getting back into the car and filing a bug report (upper tab above the scroll wheel, say “bug report” followed by brief verbiage). Then call Tesla and have them send the log files to the SvC of your choice and request that the SvC follow up with you. Then follow up with them when they don’t. The bug report entry will serve as a timepoint in the log.

Odds are they’ll know what the noise is and all will be well in short order.

It's coming from the front driver side wheel well I think; somewhere in the front bumper. I took the front and driver side maintenance panels off, but there's nothing visible or obvious as to what's causing the sound with those panels removed.