Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clarification: 5.9 ride height setting: "Always"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, once you close the doors the handles retract and the car lowers. So just got back from testing the always low mode and the car does the same thing, lowers after you exit. I verified that when we parked it was in low then we exit and it goes lower, so there are 2 lows. One when you are driving and one when parked, so the low when driving is not the lowest low. Wondering if this is normal. It bothers me that the air suspension will be engaged every time you park, seems needless wear and tear.

Mine doesn't do that. I parked it two days ago in very high, it's still in very high mode.

Yes, once you close the doors the handles retract and the car lowers. So just got back from testing the always low mode and the car does the same thing, lowers after you exit. I verified that when we parked it was in low then we exit and it goes lower, so there are 2 lows. One when you are driving and one when parked, so the low when driving is not the lowest low. Wondering if this is normal. It bothers me that the air suspension will be engaged every time you park, seems needless wear and tear.
Merrill, are you sure it is not auto-leveling and not auto-lowering? If you are driving and get out of the car, the car would lift once you departed, then it would automatically level (lower) back to its original low position when it detected the weight shift.

Merrill, are you sure it is not auto-leveling and not auto-lowering? If you are driving and get out of the car, the car would lift once you departed, then it would automatically level (lower) back to its original low position when it detected the weight shift.
Not sure, but before 5.9 it never did this. It definitely goes down, not sure if it is front and rear or as you say auto-leveling. I will try to look a little closer. I find it strange that the low that I have set as always is not as low as it can go.

It is auto leveling. I have had my car on super high and although I hear the "lowering" sound whenever I get out of the car it is not any lower as a result. Obviously I have no idea if it is level but that is the obvious rationale for the pump noise.

It is auto leveling. I have had my car on super high and although I hear the "lowering" sound whenever I get out of the car it is not any lower as a result. Obviously I have no idea if it is level but that is the obvious rationale for the pump noise.
So this is something new with 5.9, never did this before. So auto leveling is adjusting the ride height for lack of passenger weight?

Yep, mine does that, too, but not always, seems almost random. On top of everything else, the "low" is very high - I can get three fingers in between tire and chassis, with 21" turbines. This can´t be right - can it? I do weigh 100kg, but I doubt my car is adjusting the ride height by 2 inches because of that... I think something must be wrong.
Mine is in "always low" and it seems like a cherokee....:)

If set to automatically lower at 65mph, will the car raise and lower as traffic varies 60-70mph?
Would this cause undesirable excess wear?

The thing is that it doesn't lower until you've been at the speed for some time, so depending upon how the traffic varies, if you set it at 65 it may never lower. FWIW, I set mine at 50.

I had mine set to Always for a few weeks, and have since gone to 50 MPH. There are just enough steep driveways and the like to make the Always setting a pain in the butt. But I found that the 50 MPH setting works well, even on surface roads. I live in a semi rural area with twisty roads and find that if I'm in a hurry, I'll trigger the auto lowering, and it'll stay low until I slow down to about 25-30 mph. At speeds less than 40 or 50 mph, you won't notice a difference in ride height anyways, so the 50 MPH setting seems about right...