Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class 3 Tow Hitch For Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone‚
I am looking to tow a camper (3200lb empty and 4800lb loaded) with my 2017 Model S but couldn't find any Class 3 hitch for MS. I looked at all the posts on this forum as well as Tesla's forum but couldn't find a solution.

@Evoforce used a MX hitch on MS to tow a 7000lb load but I couldn't find any local installer or bodyshop willing to do the mods necessary for that and on top of that his bumper body trim looks different from my 2017 MS75D.

What's the Max weight anyone has towed with any of the MS hitches (Echohitch‚ DrawTite or StealthHitch)? Does anyone have any suggestion on how I may install a Class 3 hitch?

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Hi Everyone‚
I am looking to tow a camper (3200lb empty and 4800lb loaded) with my 2017 Model S but couldn't find any Class 3 hitch for MS. I looked at all the posts on this forum as well as Tesla's forum but couldn't find a solution.

@Evoforce used a MX hitch on MS to tow a 7000lb load but I couldn't find any local installer or bodyshop willing to do the mods necessary for that and on top of that his bumper body trim looks different from my 2017 MS75D.

What's the Max weight anyone has towed with any of the MS hitches (Echohitch‚ DrawTite or StealthHitch)? Does anyone have any suggestion on how I may install a Class 3 hitch?
Just because you *can* tow 4000lbs with a Model S does not mean you *should*.

It’s not rated to tow, period. I doubt anyone is going to assist you with installing a class III hitch due to the potential liability.

I appreciate your replies but I have read all the threads discussing all the arguments for and against hitchses on MS. Regardless of what Tesla says‚ aftermarket vendors are making class 1 hitches for Model S and people are using them at their own risk. I opened this thread to discuss Max towing and class 3 hitches in particular.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
the weight capacity for the Model S is only 950lbs including all passengers. meaning if you have 4 adults in the car you can only have 270lbs of cargo. and you want to pull a 4000lb trailer?!?!?!
Yes. Not sure if you have followed other discussions related to hithes‚ but regulations and enforcements are much more stringent in Europe and a German vendor has already certified a 4000lb hitch for MS after extensive testing.

the weight capacity for the Model S is only 950lbs including all passengers. meaning if you have 4 adults in the car you can only have 270lbs of cargo. and you want to pull a 4000lb trailer?!?!?!
Yes. Not sure if you have followed other discussions related to hithes‚ but regulations and enforcements are much more stringent in Europe and a German vendor has already certified a 4000lb hitch for MS after extensive testing. I was looking

I appreciate your replies but I have read all the threads discussing all the arguments for and against hitchses on MS. Regardless of what Tesla says‚ aftermarket vendors are making class 1 hitches for Model S and people are using them at their own risk. I opened this thread to discuss Max towing and class 3 hitches in particular.
Correct. You can find a class 1 hitch to attach something like a bike rack. You will not find a reputable vendor making a class 3 hitch to pull a 4000lb trailer. The vehicle simply is not designed to handle the weight.

If you plan on towing 4000 lbs in a Model S, you’re no better than a drunk driver. It is simply not safe for anyone sharing the road with you.

Yes. Not sure if you have followed other discussions related to hithes‚ but regulations and enforcements are much more stringent in Europe and a German vendor has already certified a 4000lb hitch for MS after extensive testing. I was looking

A vendor can certify a hitch as capable but the car manufacture is the one saying no to it. All the vendor hitch has to do is hold up to the weight and stress which is super easy and any DIY backyard hobbyist can build the same thing and build a hitch even stronger. The issue is the car manufacture says don't do it. they came to this conclusion based on many variables and decided it is not safe for you or other road users. The hitch could break off (not the hitch fault but the cars) and this would be very bad for you and anyone in the area.

also trucks like a F250 or equivalent are rated to tow only 10-12% more than the truck weighs. Now you are talking about towing 86% of the weight of a car that isn't designed to to anything at all. While it may work (until it fails) it is among the stupidest things I've ever heard. if you want to tow 4000lbs then get a truck or an SUV that is designed to tow that much.

Correct. You can find a class 1 hitch to attach something like a bike rack. You will not find a reputable vendor making a class 3 hitch to pull a 4000lb trailer. The vehicle simply is not designed to handle the weight.

If you plan on towing 4000 lbs in a Model S, you’re no better than a drunk driver. It is simply not safe for anyone sharing the road with you.
Exactly!

Please elaborate what that reason is. I would be very curious to know‚ based on what data are they making class 1 hitches but not class 3.
The reason is the car was never designed to tow 100% of its own weight like you’re suggesting, and the companies that manufacture receivers aren’t stupid enough to push the limits that hard in a way where THEY could be found negligent when YOUR ass goes and gets someone killed.

The Class 1 hitches exist to hang Sally and Timmy’s bikes off of, not tow your house.

Reactions: KyleDay
The reason is the car was never designed to tow 100% of its own weight like you’re suggesting, and the companies that manufacture receivers aren’t stupid enough to push the limits that hard in a way where THEY could be found negligent when YOUR ass goes and gets someone killed.

The Class 1 hitches exist to hang Sally and Timmy’s bikes off of, not tow your house.
As well as that aftermarket camera manufacturer hanging near your windshield or your cellphone that becomes a projectile in an accident. I am surprised that anyone does anything because after all, you can get sued! Better not drive, you are not truly insured enough against all case scenarios...Plus it is the most dangerous thing to do...maybe we better just stay home. Oh, and... don't have any friends over, they might accidently get hurt and you don't have enough coverage. Now that I think about it, I'm too scared to breathe! And what if....__________or____________, or risk going to Mars.....

Last edited:
As well as that aftermarket camera manufacturer hanging near your windshield or your cellphone that becomes a projectile in an accident. I am surprised that anyone does anything because after all, you can get sued! Better not drive, you are not truly insured enough against all case scenarios...Plus it is the most dangerous thing to do...maybe we better just stay home. Oh, and... don't have any friends over, they might accidently get hurt and you don't have enough coverage. Now that I think about it, I'm too scared to breathe! And what if....__________or____________, or risk going to Mars.....
Even in 2021, slippery slope arguments are logical fallacies and not reasonable excuses for doing something stupid.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evoforce
Even in 2021, slippery slope arguments are logical fallacies and not reasonable excuses for doing something stupid.
For one thing, some people comment on things that they have no experience and can make fools of themselves... but you wouldn't do that either... some wouldn't stretch cars into limos either or do any mods... In fact, there are some that think that modifying a Tesla is just not to be done...

Last edited:
Typically, identical cars have much lower towing limits in the US than in the Europe. It must be some measurement difference perhaps?

But in Europe almost any car is allowed to tow its own weight, usually more. Even small cars like Honda Civic or Toyota Yaris. People are towing big camper trailers with cars like Ford Mondeo or Skoda Octavia..

When you think about it, the weight doesn't actually matter. You are not driving a 90 degree hill, with all of trailers weight hanging from the car. If driving stable speed on a highway, the force needed is very minimal. The trailer just rolls on its own.

Car manufacturers are probably scared of the legal system in the US. Some moron could try things like a ludicrous launch with 4000lbs trailer attached, going 50% uphill? Then when car breaks sue Tesla for falsely promising you could tow that much.

In Europe there's no way you could sue car manufacturer if you break your car like that. The driver is always responsible of his doings.

The vehicle simply is not designed to handle the weight
If you can tell us what exactly is different in Model X that gives it the 5000lb towing capacity the whole community will be grateful to you‚ because nobody seems to have a definitive answer on that.

A vendor can certify a hitch as capable but the car manufacture is the one saying no to it. All the vendor hitch has to do is hold up to the weight
Not really. According to EU standard the vendor had to show extensive test result with the target vehicle and the product was finally approved for use with Model S.

F250 or equivalent are rated to tow only 10-12% more than the truck weighs. Now you are talking about towing 86% of the weight of a car that isn't designed to to anything at all.
Not sure where you are finding this relationship between gross vehicle weight and its towing capacity. I don't find this a sound argument and this is why. The towing capacity you mentioned may be true for F250 but lookup the specs for F150. F150 weighs 5900lbs (barely 200lbs more than my Model S) but has a towing capacity of 14000lbs. On the same token Model X is also only 400lb heavier for the same battery size and has a 5000lb towing capacity. The vehicle weight is relevant to towing only in relation to the tongue weight (or vertical pressure on the hitch) and that weight along with all passenger and luggage shouldn't exceed the gross weight or GVWR.

The following factors impact towing:
Engine/Transmission (drive train)‚ engine cooling (or battery cooling if I want to draw a parallel)‚ chassis/structure‚ suspension‚ breaking. As far as I could find‚ dual motor Model S is identical to Model X in all these categories. Please tell us if you are aware of anything different.

A final argument could be warranty complications and that is indeed a valid argument. If anything breaks after towing Tesla may 'try' to deny warranty but then they have to prove that the damage was directly caused by towing. In which case they will need a whole lot of explaining to do about why they are releasing Model X with the same underperforming/defective parts.

A final argument could be warranty complications and that is indeed a valid argument. If anything breaks after towing Tesla may 'try' to deny warranty but then they have to prove that the damage was directly caused by towing. In which case they will need a whole lot of explaining to do about why they are releasing Model X with the same underperforming/defective parts.
They have never said a word to me about my trailer hitch except "cool" when it has been in for service. My warranty now has since mileage/time expired.