Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class action against Tesla for turning off Prem Connectivity before it was an option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am gathering information for a class action suit against Tesla for turning off Premium Connectivity before it was an option, and was sold as an included feature.

I have screen shots of their web site and the sales punch list showing that it was included and was not an extra feature. The only radio/nav options were to subscribe to Spotify or InTune.

You can check your sales date using the Way Back Machine.

They added the options on the site after June or July. Anyone that purchased one before that, as you can see by the image, should have it on.

Message me if you are interested.

Tesla screen shot.png

... Premium Connectivity before it was an option, and was sold as an included feature...

Your own attached exhibit from the screenshot disproves the above statement.

It says:

"Wi-Fi and LTE Internet connectivity"

and

"FM/Internet streaming radio".

None of those quoted features mentions "Premium Connectivity".

If Premium Connectivity not mentioned, it's minimally "connectivity" without "Premium".

After Premium Connectivity is implemented, non-Premium Connectivity still works.

Wi-Fi still works. Internet streaming radio via Wi-Fi still works.

The capability of both Wi-Fi and LTE internet is still there. The difference is how much you can use it.

Without Premium Connectivity, your car still has LTE internet connectivity for Navigation (there's internet navigation and also offline navigation: Tesla does not shut off the internet for your navigation). All your car logging activities still work via LTE internet so that you can use your phone app...

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I am gathering information for a class action suit against Tesla for turning off Premium Connectivity before it was an option, and was sold as an included feature.

I have screen shots of their web site and the sales punch list showing that it was included and was not an extra feature. The only radio/nav options were to subscribe to Spotify or InTune.

They added the options on the site after June or July. Anyone that purchased one before that, as you can see by the image, should have it on.

View attachment 514170
A little shaky because technically you haven’t lost those features. You can still stream music over a WiFi hotspot while in motion.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Wasn't it announced that you get grandfathered in for lifetime premium connectivity if you placed an order before July 1, 2018?

What's the issue here?

I think the logic from @Paul Wolff is: Because "Wi-Fi and LTE Internet connectivity" and "FM/Internet streaming radio" were not listed in the Premium Upgrades section so those who do not pay for Premium upgrades should not lose those two listed features.

And the logic continues that those who bought a Model 3 after the grandfather period 7/1/2018 should not have to pay for those 2 features and should not lose those 2 features either.

When it goes to court, Tesla will then have to prove that Tesla has not deprived those who did not pay for Premium Interior, like Model 3 Standard Range and like Model 3 Standard Range Plus, of those 2 listed features.

Also note that those of us who got free premium connectivity ended up paying 5k to 10k more for the same car. All the price fluctuation did cause a lot of misery and drama, but most of it, such as the Federal Tax Rebate, was out of Tesla's control.

There are thousands who paid extra for the "early adoption fee". I wish I spent less, but I'm still glad I didn't pay for a gas car.

Also note that those of us who got free premium connectivity ended up paying 5k to 10k more for the same car. All the price fluctuation did cause a lot of misery and drama, but most of it, such as the Federal Tax Rebate, was out of Tesla's control.

There are thousands who paid extra for the "early adoption fee". I wish I spent less, but I'm still glad I didn't pay for a gas car.

We may have paid an extra $10k, but with free premium connectivity, that pays for itself in a mere 83 years!

Not the first time Tesla created have vs have not, won’t be the last.

Based on your signature “Devils Advocate”,
and your occupation being an “Automotive and lease consultant”, I assume you work for the automotive industry, and not for Tesla.
Anyone in the automotive industry is typically against Tesla, which you seem to be. :)
Are you hear just to troll or stir the pot.

If you’re afraid for your job in a now changing industry, why not focus on changing the industry you’re in, instead of trying to seemingly focus on hurting Tesla.

Wait, they changed the site in June of 2018? You mean, right after they announced that free premium connectivity ended for orders placed after the end of June, 2018?

You can't say "Oooh, they originally specified the car as having this feature. Then they changed it. Despite buying the car after the change, I want the original spec!"

The only radio/nav options were to subscribe to Spotify or InTune.

Wrong! Spotifiy is a super new addition. Like September of 2019.
And nobody has ever had to subscribe to TuneIn. It's included.
Neither subscriptions are through Tesla. You want a Spotify account - you go sign up on your own. Tesla has no involvement.

Not that I’m backing this complaint. On my X as soon as I put the car in Drive the WIFI shuts off and LTE comes on. So no streaming via hotspot is possible. Not sure if this is a new thing. But makes sense for it to do so.

BTW, why bother with a class action law suite for something so trivial. You’ll get a check for $6.23 in 5 years. And perhaps the person that started it might get a Xmas basket by edible arrangements from the lawyer that made $12 million (after taxes).

Last edited:
Based on your signature “Devils Advocate”,
and your occupation being an “Automotive and lease consultant”, I assume you work for the automotive industry, and not for Tesla.
Anyone in the automotive industry is typically against Tesla, which you seem to be. :)
Are you hear just to troll or stir the pot.

If you’re afraid for your job in a now changing industry, why not focus on changing the industry you’re in, instead of trying to seemingly focus on hurting Tesla.

Whoa buddy. That’s a lot of vitriol in one post but I’ll play ball.

I drive Tesla because i’m arguably something of a tech geek, have multiple orders for new Tesla and have owned multiples in the past as well. To that end, I’m a fan of the brand and their mission but will call it when I see processes that should be changed outright or at least improved in their practice as I want to see them do better.

The auto industry in general is in transition and my role is actually one generally contrary to the dealership model as a consultant/broker. That being said, it isn’t my main gig and doesn’t pay the mortgage as much as it a hobby for me as cars have always been a big part of my life and I love to see folks get a great deal on something that suits their needs (Even if it isn’t a Tesla)

Thanks for taking the time to analyze me though from a few posts and profile info. :)

And when all is said and done, or sometime before it's adjudicated, all you will gain is $9.99 a month. Not that I completely disagree with your gripe, but talk about a first world issue with an earth-shattering impact.

Hmmm...I'm trying to recall something that we discuss in this forum that isn't a first world issue.

View attachment 514170
When did you order your car? When did you take delivery?

I believe you can just select wifi again manually to pick up a hotspot after putting it in drive.

That would be a pain.

Not to mention on my iPhone if hot spot is idle for a while it will stop broadcasting SSID. Another “I” device (of mine) can wake it and connect, but non “I” devices won’t see the SSID unless I open the hotspot settings on the phone.

Doing all that every time I get in the car would be non starter. I’d just pay the $100/yr

Your own attached exhibit from the screenshot disproves the above statement.

It says:

"Wi-Fi and LTE Internet connectivity"

and

"FM/Internet streaming radio".

None of those quoted features mentions "Premium Connectivity".

If Premium Connectivity not mentioned, it's minimally "connectivity" without "Premium".

After Premium Connectivity is implemented, non-Premium Connectivity still works.

Wi-Fi still works. Internet streaming radio via Wi-Fi still works.

The capability of both Wi-Fi and LTE internet is still there. The difference is how much you can use it.

Without Premium Connectivity, your car still has LTE internet connectivity for Navigation (there's internet navigation and also offline navigation: Tesla does not shut off the internet for your navigation). All your car logging activities still work via LTE internet so that you can use your phone app...

Thats the exact point. Their is now no internet streaming radio, now their is no browser, they say nothing about any options. If you don't care about it then move on.

• Disagree
Reactions: mnevar and MP3Mike
Status
Not open for further replies.