Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class action against Tesla for turning off Prem Connectivity before it was an option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is that the sales people sold the car with those items, never discussed any options, they didn't announce being grandfathered because it was not an option at the time.

Yes, misleading salespeople who are not punished is a problem industry-wise.

However, we live in a legal society, so the court values documentations much more than undocumented "he said, she said".

Whatever the salespeople tell you need to be documented on the sales receipt. If it's not there then it's an uphill fight to prove an unproven verbal contract in court.

Before the date that they started advertising the options.

This should be clear. If you ordered before 7/1/2018 you should have "premium connectivity". If you ordered after that then there was a complimentary period before you need to subscribe. This was well advertised before 7/1/2018 and was a reason that we pushed the order for our second car forward a few days. This was a demand lever that they used in June 2018.

Notice that the OP is carefully NOT saying that he actually placed the order prior to 7/1/18. Given the sum of the other statements made, it seems highly likely that the order was placed on or after 7/1/18 and that the OP is now feeling entitled to something that Tesla has stated ( as Knightshade has pointed out "Tesla is introducing new paid 'premium connectivity' package to support in-car internet features of growing fleet - Electrek") is not part of the deal.

I am gathering information for a class action suit against Tesla for turning off Premium Connectivity before it was an option, and was sold as an included feature.

I have screen shots of their web site and the sales punch list showing that it was included and was not an extra feature. The only radio/nav options were to subscribe to Spotify or InTune.

You can check your sales date using the Way Back Machine.

They added the options on the site after June or July. Anyone that purchased one before that, as you can see by the image, should have it on.

Message me if you are interested.

View attachment 514170

All Teslas, including my husbands 2017 MS, have it grandfathered in if ordered before 7/1/18 so I don’t get your first sentence. I intentionally ordered my car before July (placed order on June 26 2018) so I would have the free unlimited Premium Connectivity. Didn’t get my car delivered until September but my account shows the Free Unlimited on it as a feature. So either you ordered your car before the July 1 date and were entitled to it (contact Tesla if you were within the window for it to have your account fixed) or you weren’t. As others have asked, what was your order date on the car you received??

Did you initially order before that date and then changed your order after 6/30 to maybe, instead of the black interior, order the white? If so that gave you a new order date. I know some people here decided at the time it was worth it to them to lose the free Premium Connectivity to get the white interior. If you ordered after 7/1 you didn’t have any option to order it, true. But the free connectivity period was over and people knew that and it was just a matter of what the future connectivity cost would be and when it would be announced. In the meantime you got to see what it was like to see if it was something you wanted to upgrade to or end up with the free standard basic.

From Tesla’s support page:
“All cars come with Standard Connectivity which provides access to most connectivity features over Wi-Fi only, in addition to basic maps and navigation and music streaming over Bluetooth®.

Premium Connectivity provides the ability to access all connectivity features over cellular, in addition to Wi-Fi, for the most intuitive and engaging ownership experience.”

To me from what you’ve posted it doesn’t sound like you understood the differences between Standard and Premium or maybe how things work on the car.

Last edited:
Notice that the OP is carefully NOT saying that he actually placed the order prior to 7/1/18. Given the sum of the other statements made, it seems highly likely that the order was placed on or after 7/1/18 and that the OP is now feeling entitled to something that Tesla has stated ( as Knightshade has pointed out "Tesla is introducing new paid 'premium connectivity' package to support in-car internet features of growing fleet - Electrek") is not part of the deal.
Based on OP's post history, you'd think OP would be suing for lack of XM.....

So let's be clear. OP does not use internet streaming radio. OP just wants an easy payday.

When did you order your car? When did you take delivery?
Before the date that they started advertising the options.
It's not a hard question. Just 2 dates, which I'm pretty sure you know. No need to be secretive about them.

Have you actually talked to a lawyer that specializes in class action suits yet? It's not the kind of thing your corner joe lawyer can do. Lawyers that can do this kind of thing are expensive, as the whole process is huge thing. Even if your claim is deemed to be adequate, and I very much doubt that it is, the class would have to large enough and the results lucrative enough to get the lawyers paid, which I highly doubt would be the case. Unless you're planning on paying for it out of your own pocket. If you have that kind of money, this yearly fee wouldn't be an issue for you.

I am gathering information for a class action suit against Tesla for turning off Premium Connectivity before it was an option, and was sold as an included feature
Did you opt out of arbitration?
https://www.tesla.com/order/download-order-agreement?country=US

Despite reading the Agreement to Arbitrate section a few times I am still unclear if it allows class cases or not.

Either way, this thread makes me lol. In class suits the lawyer(s) makes huge bucks and the class members get a coupon for a free ice cream cone. But you are going to make them PAY for their wrongs! You are such an avenger of justice! The mighty swinger of important sounding phrases like, "class action". You go Mr. Litigator! Save the planet and do the other things :rolleyes:

It was very clear the premium package only included premium connectivity until midnight June 30, 2018 and you put your extra $2500 in by that time. I did it at 11:30 pm for exactly that reason to have lifetime premium connectivity. In 10 years it's still only a little over $1000 but it caused me to act then.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Are you a conspiracy theorist? I'm an engineer that designs recording consoles and have never worked for the car isdustry. I'n not trolling nor stirring the pot. I am advocating for people that paid a premium price for premium features and then get them turned off to get more money. I'm sure they saved a bundle in cellular fees by turning everyone off one day, not even coordinated with a 1 year or 2 year anniversary. I paid for it, I want it. Very simple. Not some dark hater lurking behind a dumpster trying to stir up hate for Tesla.
Just for reference, where does it say that I'm a Automotive and lease consultant"? Maybe you are trolling another comment, but this isn't about what he does for a living, it's about this feature removal.

I didn’t reply to you ? I have no idea how you got that wrong. Look back at my reply. :)

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Status
Not open for further replies.