Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class Action Lawsuit - Model S - Auto Present Door Handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All, it has been a while since I have posted here. Let me be clear here, I do consider myself to be a Tesla "Fanboy" and I do not want to offend fellow Tesla fans. However, I'm perturbed about the continuing problems with unreliable auto presenting doors on the Model S which fail frequently. I spoke with Tesla about this problem in 2016. I have a fully drafted an Authority to Represent Agreement with the intent to file a class action lawsuit against Tesla regarding the unreliable door handles. Only after hiring an attorney and drafting the agreement, did Tesla step in to address the problem in the short term. In speaking with my attorney, I do believe I have a very good case that Tesla needs to address this problem in the long term and it has been a battle to get Tesla to work with me.

Hence, I would like to invite those Model S owners interested in joining a class action lawsuit to contact me via DM, with a particular interest in sharing your experiences regarding your unreliable and failing auto presenting door handles.

Personal regards,

Steve (23rd Tesla Owner of the Model S Worldwide)

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and kazamm
On my third Tesla-Over 7 years, nearly 200,000 miles, never a problem.
So-it seems Tesla has addressed it by making better handles.

Of course your lawyer and you want a class action lawsuit, the original filing parties and the lawyers are the only ones that make money on class actions. If you or your lawyer say it isn't about the money-Then agree, from the outset, any money made, above simple costs, will go to charity.
Honestly, do you really think it will improve the situation? Tesla is up to their elbows trying to fulfill demand.
Yes, there were some issues with the early handles, but when you purchase "#23 in the world" you should have expected some issues.

You tried to get this going 6 years ago? [proposed] Class action lawsuit against tesla - door handles unreliable

It seems it wasn't enough to sour you from buying other Teslas? From 2018 you posted "No comparison between Teslas and Toyota’s . Tesla is superior in all respects as you will eventually find out. If you are buying new Technology, you can’t set the same standard initially. I took very early delivery of my Model 3 before X mass 2017. No problems. I have a very early Model S (23rd in the world) and Model X. Won’t consider any other option yet..."
Model 3: My car is in the shop on day 2

I apologize in advance for my rant, it is less about you and your lawyer -- more my disdain with the industry that is class action lawsuits.

On my third Tesla-Over 7 years, nearly 200,000 miles, never a problem.
So-it seems Tesla has addressed it by making better handles.

Of course your lawyer and you want a class action lawsuit, the original filing parties and the lawyers are the only ones that make money on class actions. If you or your lawyer say it isn't about the money-Then agree, from the outset, any money made, above simple costs, will go to charity.
Honestly, do you really think it will improve the situation? Tesla is up to their elbows trying to fulfill demand.
Yes, there were some issues with the early handles, but when you purchase "#23 in the world" you should have expected some issues.

You tried to get this going 6 years ago? [proposed] Class action lawsuit against tesla - door handles unreliable

It seems it wasn't enough to sour you from buying other Teslas? From 2018 you posted "No comparison between Teslas and Toyota’s . Tesla is superior in all respects as you will eventually find out. If you are buying new Technology, you can’t set the same standard initially. I took very early delivery of my Model 3 before X mass 2017. No problems. I have a very early Model S (23rd in the world) and Model X. Won’t consider any other option yet..."
Model 3: My car is in the shop on day 2

I apologize in advance for my rant, it is less about you and your lawyer -- more my disdain with the industry that is class action lawsuits.
Thanks for the feedback. When I purchased #23 in the world (except that 1500 signeratures jumped ahead of me), I came from the ICE world as most Tesla owners did. We all have been accustomed to reliable door handles that would actually open the door for the life of the car. I can't go into all the reasons this is being handled wrong by Tesla, but I can say it is not about the money, but it is very much about the undue burden placed on thousands of Model S owners. This burden is just what we need after spending $128,000 on a car. Yes, its true that in many respects I am a fan of Tesla and the door handles did not stop me from buying other Teslas as you point out. However, you should know that those purchases of 3 other Teslas only happened because Tesla took care of me before that time regarding the door handles. Again, probably too much information to be giving out on a public forum but I wanted to make that point clear. If I was in the market to buy a car, it probably would be a new Plaid Model S if not for the door handle issues.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
I sympathize with the OP - I do, but I also have never had issues with my door handles on a 2016 and 2022 Model S.

That said, I think the class action should be us FSD purchasers from literally 5.5 years ago still waiting for dreams unrealized.
Thank you. I sympathize with you on the FSD issue and I think you have a point. The latest version is supposely very good so perhaps there is hope.

You do not have a case, and even if you did the, only winner will be the lawyer.
I assure you I would only pursue something like this if I had a case but thanks for your opinion. If you think this is about money, then I agree, the only winner will be the lawyer. But the true winner will be the consumer because Tesla will think twice about making a car with few moving parts and promoting their cars as reliable, yet their door handles (with mechanical parts/motor) on a Model S wont reliably open a door, despite that ICE cars have door handles that actually open the car door reliably for the life of the car. Again, thank you for your opinion.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Tesla will think twice
Unfortunately Tesla has demonstrated the opposite. Consider that a large number of people are pissed over FSD, does Tesla care? Do you see a lawsuit?

I sympathize, but Tesla makes cars for “early adopters” which means people willing to tolerate shortcomings in order to get something new first. Note also that Tesla labels a lot of things as “beta” which in strictly a CYA move.

Elon is always looking to the next thing and seems to leave a trail on incompleteness.

Reactions: TroyGuy
Actually, there was a class action lawsuit on FSD for delays. Early FSD buyers got a check for $200 or so. This was about 2 years ago. Agree with others that most class actions result in a useless coupon or a $2 check and the only purpose is to make a lawyer $$$.

As to door handles, I had a few problems with my 2013 S, which Tesla upgraded, and no more problems. I've had zero problems with my 2016 S or my 2022 S, and all the owners I know directly with cars that have the Gen 3 handles have not had a problem. I expect there have been a few issues even with Gen 3 handles, but no more than any other mechanical wear part in any car. I expect the success of a class-action lawsuit on handles to be marginal at best. Sorry, but it sounds more like a lawyer hoping to scam Tesla.

This mostly affects owner #2+ as it was fixed with gen3 handles. As an original owner of a low vin as well i replaced 6 door handles, but havent had an issue since this last round in over two years. Good luck with your suit, i dont think you'll actually recoup the thousands they used to be. you'll get the usual check for 2 bucks.