Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class Action Lawsuit Model S door handle failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it looks like it’s a possibility I may need to replace my first door handle. It won’t present itself when unlocked. It’s happened before, but somehow always fixed itself. Not sure about this time. I did some research and saw there is a class action that was started this month. December 2022.

I have a 2013 MS so not sure if it would apply (but it should!). Anybody recently get them replaced and for how much? I also saw there are videos on how to do it yourself. Not sure I have the time and patience tbh. Thanks!

Reactions: Nikon201068
I don't see how it can succeed. Tesla has batted down some prior class actions, as they have been able to dismiss class actions by forcing arbitration for individual cases. I doubt any car, 6 years out of warranty, is going to be covered for a part failure. That said, I did have a handle die within warranty on my early 2013 S and Tesla replaced all four handles. I think the current cost is in the $250 range. This is quite a bit lower than the $1200 or so cost early on for out-of-warranty replacements. If you are the second owner of your 2013 S, I expect they have already been replaced with a later-generation design. Still, they are not going to last forever.

Reactions: Espi2451
Well it started working again this morning. When it does get stuck It doesn’t make a sound when trying to open. For some people it does I guess. It’s almost as if it loses connection/communication or something. Weird. Usually needs a day and it works again. We’ll see…

These door handles (especially the first couple iterations) can fail in several ways. Many different common failure points & causes means that the diagnosis from handle to handle can differ. What fixes one may not fit another.

My guess based on what you've described is that you had one of the earlier handle installs when they (the line workers) were still zip tying the loose wires to static points within the handle. With normal function it will pull the wires and bend/pinch them around corners. With time this will cause the wire insulation to fail and cause some wires to either ground out or lose the ability to transmit signal. This particular failure can by sporadic in it's symptoms as a result.

Summary: these types of things don't magically repair themselves permanently.

It’ll be interesting to see how the class action turns out. Tesla has structured itself in a way that is very difficult for a class action to work or so I’ve read. Based on previous attempts, I wouldn’t get your hopes up about it succeeding.

My December build 2017 has a rear handle that randomly won’t retract. Isn’t that a newer design handle that are supposed to not fail?
You likely have the Gen-3 handles, which are more reliable than prior generations. That said, mechanical parts like this don't last forever. I've had an old-style mechanical handle fail on a Ford after 3 years, but these complex Tesla handles are more susceptible to failure over time. Having one fail after 5 years is bad luck, but not unheard of. At least it's not that expensive to have it fixed, and it might only need an adjustment rather than a replacement.

...should rear handles extend when pushing on them? I have a March 2017 S that I have set to not extend automatically. Pushing front handles will extend, rear will not.
Any chance you have Controls -> Locks, Driver Door Unlock Mode set? This would mean only the driver's door will touch unlock. If the front passenger door works, then this is not the issue. Seems odd that both rear doors would fail at the same time.

Any chance you have Controls -> Locks, Driver Door Unlock Mode set? This would mean only the driver's door will touch unlock. If the front passenger door works, then this is not the issue. Seems odd that both rear doors would fail at the same time.
Just checked, that's not it. But both front work and both back do not. I always assumed it was by design. But the first 1/2 of the cars life I used auto-extend so never noticed. Don't really have many use the back either.

Both driver and passenger front door handles on my 2013 Model S stopped working in 2021. Got a door handle repair kit and have been balking at making the repair. I have to enter through the rear door, lower the front driver window or unlock the front door. It can be difficult in a narrow parking area. This should be a recall as it can be dangerous as in the case of the 2019 Florida crash victim.

Yes the only proper fix is the gen 3 door handles that have the hall sensor.
While the gen 3 hall sensor seems to be more robust than the microswitches, the paddle gear is not...at least not the ones that came with my Aug 2017 build. I recently replaced a paddle gear with one that was obviously a revised part (104285-00-B). It is now "skeletonized" and no longer has solid walls. Hopefully this design is more robust but only time will tell. I have a spare on standby as another will inevitably fail :(.

While the gen 3 hall sensor seems to be more robust than the microswitches, the paddle gear is not...at least not the ones that came with my Aug 2017 build. I recently replaced a paddle gear with one that was obviously a revised part (104285-00-B). It is now "skeletonized" and no longer has solid walls. Hopefully this design is more robust but only time will tell. I have a spare on standby as another will inevitably fail :(.
If it's a different material, the shape may not matter.

I'm still speculating that the door paddles that are breaking are the ones that have people pushing them shut by the handles. Clearly a design flaw, but would explain why some break more than others. For example, if the door didn't quite close on the initial "swing", whet part of the door does a person push on?

Well, it looks like it’s a possibility I may need to replace my first door handle. It won’t present itself when unlocked. It’s happened before, but somehow always fixed itself. Not sure about this time. I did some research and saw there is a class action that was started this month. December 2022.

I have a 2013 MS so not sure if it would apply (but it should!). Anybody recently get them replaced and for how much? I also saw there are videos on how to do it yourself. Not sure I have the time and patience tbh. Thanks!
Yes , I have a 2016 model S 90 D and on December 13th I had my drivers door handle replaced by the mobile service and it cost me $325. That is an out of warranty cost to me.