Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class Action Lawsuit Model S door handle failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You likely have the Gen-3 handles, which are more reliable than prior generations. That said, mechanical parts like this don't last forever. I've had an old-style mechanical handle fail on a Ford after 3 years, but these complex Tesla handles are more susceptible to failure over time. Having one fail after 5 years is bad luck, but not unheard of. At least it's not that expensive to have it fixed, and it might only need an adjustment rather than a replacement.
My 2018 gets stuck half way in when retracting, can be assisted with a gentle push. Can you elaborate on how to adjust, I think it may just be catching on the door. Many thanks!

Both driver and passenger front door handles on my 2013 Model S stopped working in 2021. Got a door handle repair kit and have been balking at making the repair. I have to enter through the rear door, lower the front driver window or unlock the front door. It can be difficult in a narrow parking area. This should be a recall as it can be dangerous as in the case of the 2019 Florida crash victim.

When my drivers door handle went out i tied a small piece of string to the inside handle and when i shut the door I'd let it sit between the window and the B pillar and then just pull it when i wanted to open the car. Yeah its leaving the car unsecure but if someone was to open it that way the alarm would go off anyway. I had it like this for like 3 weeks while i waited on the repair kit to come in the mail. Also it was barely noticeable and you'd have to be looking for it.

And i don't get the point of your linked article's lawsuit, i mean from the inside you can open the door even without power so clearly the driver was incapacitated an unable to move because he could've opened the door with no problems otherwise.

For the OP that lawsuit its frivolous and hopefully gets thrown out. Also why do people always go class action? Those don't help people in any way. Like the 85 battery thing that was settled last year each owner got like 600 bucks while the lawyers got like 6 figures or more, i don't recall the exact numbers. Stuff breaks and needs repairing such is life. I've done 3 of my handles and have the kit in my garage to do the 4th whenever it fails. All 3 of them it has been the paddle gear failing but i get the kit that has the upgraded gear and the new switches with the spaghetti wires. I figure its a one and done repair kit so i don't have to pull off the damn thing again and fix something else.

Reactions: vcor
My 2018 gets stuck half way in when retracting, can be assisted with a gentle push. Can you elaborate on how to adjust, I think it may just be catching on the door. Many thanks!
That’s exactly what my diagnosis was from the mobile tech. He adjusted mine for free and it didn’t need to be replaced. Saved me a good chunk of money. Mines a late 2017 and the tech said they were v3 handles. I thought I was going to need a replacement.

Reactions: NikoV6
Well, it looks like it’s a possibility I may need to replace my first door handle. It won’t present itself when unlocked. It’s happened before, but somehow always fixed itself. Not sure about this time. I did some research and saw there is a class action that was started this month. December 2022.

I have a 2013 MS so not sure if it would apply (but it should!). Anybody recently get them replaced and for how much? I also saw there are videos on how to do it yourself. Not sure I have the time and patience tbh. Thanks!
Tesla charges between 300 and 600 bucks to fix or replace my door handle is broken so many times I started fixing it myself and then started fixing it for a bunch of my friends I started getting the paddle gears custom made by high-strength steel so hopefully that should never happens again instead of some people just putting in those cheap $20 Chinese once I’m in Los Angeles

Reactions: geordi
Well, it looks like it’s a possibility I may need to replace my first door handle. It won’t present itself when unlocked. It’s happened before, but somehow always fixed itself. Not sure about this time. I did some research and saw there is a class action that was started this month. December 2022.

I have a 2013 MS so not sure if it would apply (but it should!). Anybody recently get them replaced and for how much? I also saw there are videos on how to do it yourself. Not sure I have the time and patience tbh. Thanks!
its pretty easy to fix the hardest part is to not scratch the chrome coatings on the handles

While the gen 3 hall sensor seems to be more robust than the microswitches, the paddle gear is not...at least not the ones that came with my Aug 2017 build. I recently replaced a paddle gear with one that was obviously a revised part (104285-00-B). It is now "skeletonized" and no longer has solid walls. Hopefully this design is more robust but only time will tell. I have a spare on standby as another will inevitably fail :(.
it will eventually fail the new revision is made of zinc

When my drivers door handle went out i tied a small piece of string to the inside handle and when i shut the door I'd let it sit between the window and the B pillar and then just pull it when i wanted to open the car. Yeah its leaving the car unsecure but if someone was to open it that way the alarm would go off anyway. I had it like this for like 3 weeks while i waited on the repair kit to come in the mail. Also it was barely noticeable and you'd have to be looking for it.

And i don't get the point of your linked article's lawsuit, i mean from the inside you can open the door even without power so clearly the driver was incapacitated an unable to move because he could've opened the door with no problems otherwise.

For the OP that lawsuit its frivolous and hopefully gets thrown out. Also why do people always go class action? Those don't help people in any way. Like the 85 battery thing that was settled last year each owner got like 600 bucks while the lawyers got like 6 figures or more, i don't recall the exact numbers. Stuff breaks and needs repairing such is life. I've done 3 of my handles and have the kit in my garage to do the 4th whenever it fails. All 3 of them it has been the paddle gear failing but i get the kit that has the upgraded gear and the new switches with the spaghetti wires. I figure its a one and done repair kit so i don't have to pull off the damn thing again and fix something else.
Can you link me to the kit you used? My driver side back door handle went out on my 2013 p85

Can you link me to the kit you used? My driver side back door handle went out on my 2013 p85
I use this one for all my door handles, it fixes the problem with the gear and uses a stronger metal it also changes the wires out because they will break over time. So its a one and done kit and you don't have to pull off the handles ever again. I did the first handle 4 years ago and it's still good

Reactions: Sanderpman12
I use this one for all my door handles, it fixes the problem with the gear and uses a stronger metal it also changes the wires out because they will break over time. So its a one and done kit and you don't have to pull off the handles ever again. I did the first handle 4 years ago and it's still good

Is this kit only for 1 door? Or all 4 doors can be fixed in this one kit

What does the gen3 handle cost these days?
I went ahead and got the repair. They originally quoted me $310 after taxes. However, I told them I wanted to use my same door handle since it’s wrapped and that I shouldn’t be charged for another handle if I’m using the same one. They agreed and adjusted it to $236. It was done by mobile service.

Ok, further woe! 2018 Model S Gen 3 handle, will not present. When pressed, you can hear motor and door releases. Had the unit off today and the drive gear and paddle gear are all present and not broken. Handle moves freely out when pushed and drive gear and paddle gear are free to move. Any further ideas? The drive gear has a little lateral movement along the shaft but maintained contact with the paddle gear🤔

Maybe you can calibrate it by yourself. Go to service menu (software, then press on your model type e. g. S 100 D for a few seconds, enter service when prompted). In the menu you can find door calibration. follow the instruction. For me it didn‘t work though. Door handle is stuck in the middle while retracting. I think i need to go to SC

Reactions: NikoV6