Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class action lawsuit over Order Agreements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not the point, but it may be germane to this particular thread. If it is determined that Tesla (any car maker) cannot altar contract terms w/o simply refunding $X or whatever, can they now show that they may not choose to alter contract terms a couple of YEARS later.

Ok this got moved and is now totally out of context: the original thread was about... can Tesla (any car maker) change its lease terms after the car has been leased to prevent a lease customer from selling to a third-party dealer when the original lease specified, they could? In other words, it's not just about "can they change the car", it's also about "can they change the lease agreement at all?"

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
OMG, that dude was so butthurt over Tesla discontinuing the RWD Model Y that he filed a class action lawsuit instead of just taking his $100 back?
Seems he's also a part-time celebrity lawyer who specializes in dubious cases representing Trump followers and racist cops.
Nope, not about the RWD Model Y situation at all. It is about the refresh Model S/X. Where they discontinued the Long Range Plus and replaced it with the Long Range.

The class action includes a description by the plaintiff of a new order agreement that contained the same original order number for his Tesla Model X.
  • Instead of a Model X Long Range Plus, the vehicle was changed to a lesser Model X Long Range
  • The price of the base vehicle, the Model X Long Range (not Plus), was increased $10,000 from $79,990 to $89,990, even though the vehicle was a lesser model base vehicle because it had a decreased range capability
  • Instead of 20" Silver Wheels, they were now 20" Cyberstream Wheels
  • Instead of a Figured Ash Decor, it was now an Ebony Decor
  • It added a Yoke Steering Wheel
  • The price of the Full Self-Driving Capability was increased from $8,000 to $10,000
The total price now allegedly demanded by Tesla was $109,190, an increase of $11,900 for a vehicle with lesser range and capability and a few changes in color.

But of course we know that Tesla was applying a $2k credit to bring the FSD price back to what it was when the order was placed.

I don't think this class action is going anywhere, as Tesla did discontinue an existing model and replaced it with a new one. Maybe they should have just canceled the order instead of updating it to the new model. Though I seem to recall that they contacted people and asked them if they wanted to cancel or if they wanted their order transitioned to the new model with a $2k discount. (That $2k was in addition to the credit to match FSD.)

Reactions: goin2drt
Not the point, but it may be germane to this particular thread. If it is determined that Tesla (any car maker) cannot altar contract terms w/o simply refunding $X or whatever, can they now show that they may not choose to alter contract terms a couple of YEARS later.

Ok this got moved and is now totally out of context: the original thread was about... can Tesla (any car maker) change its lease terms after the car has been leased to prevent a lease customer from selling to a third-party dealer when the original lease specified, they could? In other words, it's not just about "can they change the car", it's also about "can they change the lease agreement at all?"

As I said in that other thread, this is not related at all to "can I sell my leased tesla to a third party dealer", at least in my opinion, unless you actually have some language in your lease agreement that says you can sell to a third party dealer, then they stopped you after.

Even if this class action goes somewhere, I dont see how that has anything to do with lease agreements, unless you can point to some language where tesla changed something in print. The situation you quoted is where a model was changed (thus what the person ordered was no longer available).

Not the same thing as "you cant sell my property for me any longer" (a lease).

Reactions: MP3Mike
In reviewing the case document I can see that this case was a copy/paste of another case and they totally forgot to update one section... oops. (The "PRAYER FOR RELIEF" section only talks about a battery defect and stopping Tesla from selling vehicles that have it, of course nothing in the prior pages mention a battery defect.)

Haha! That case document is about as funny as case documents get.

Turns out it's not about the (refundable) order fee or the configuration change at all. The dumbass leased his previous car without realizing that the lease would end on a predetermined date regardless of whether or not he had a replacement lined up. Then he concluded that Tesla should pay his lease extension fees since they didn't deliver his new replacement car on the exact day that his prior lease ended.

Screenshot 2022-01-03 130532.png

Maybe this shouldn't have been moved out of the "Oops, I didn't realize that leasing is not the same as owning" thread after all?

Haha! That case document is about as funny as case documents get.

Turns out it's not about the (refundable) order fee or the configuration change at all. The dumbass leased his previous car without realizing that the lease would end on a predetermined date regardless of whether or not he had a replacement lined up. Then he concluded that Tesla should pay his lease extension fees since they didn't deliver his new replacement car on the exact day that his prior lease ended.

View attachment 751532

Maybe this shouldn't have been moved out of the "Oops, I didn't realize that leasing is not the same as owning" thread after all?
Yep, and he was forced to extend the lease. o_O There is no way he could have bought the vehicle at the end of the lease, this is allowed on the Model X, or returned it and found alternative transportation. (Uber/Lyft/leasing a new vehicle/buying a temporary vehicle/etc.)

Next would be him complaining about being charged over-mileage fees when he leased a new Tesla, since most dealers for other OEMs will forgive over-milage charges when you lease a new vehicle from them, so surely Tesla would have to do that as well...

Reminds me of the time I rented a car at the airport and then my return flight ended up getting delayed. I was forced to extend my car rental for another day and then -- get this -- when I finally did get my flight home the damn plane had a different configuration than the one I had originally bought the ticket for!

I shoulda sued Delta for at least $5,000,000.00

Screenshot 2022-01-03 135255.png