Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Classic cars that are restored with all the technology a Tesla: any interest?

Any interest in classic cars that are restored with all the technology of a Tesla?

• Yes

Votes: 51 87.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been playing with the idea of taking a quintessential muscle car (60s Mustang or Corvette) and re-modding it to operate on the Tesla platform (P100D). The idea is that you would have a classic car with all the technology of the Tesla...essentially a restoration of classic car for the electric/tech car enthusiasts.

What do you think? Would not be cheap to do but is there a market of Tesla owners that would love a classic car updated with the technology of a Tesla?

Attachments

• 462_main_l.jpg
    462_main_l.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 376
How many shops do this? I have the perfect donor car. I would love to swap out a P100D chassis and modernize a 60s muscle car.
Model S skateboard.
- you could stretch or widen
- can't really shrink
So what cars would actually fit?

wheelbase 116.5"; Front Track 65.4"; Rear Track 66.9" width 77"

crumple zones and airbags - and my head hurting already - wouldn't expect Tesla crash safety
Pontiac (1968?) GTO wheelbase 112" so pushing each wheel well out 2" - how'd that look?
making any classic body wider seems less of a problem
Perhaps 3D printing the body shell ??

Plymouth Road Runner seems almost a drop onto Tesla Model S skateboard - right??

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I am a Ford guy...so I was thinking a 63 1/2 Galaxie 500. The wheelbase on the Galaxie is 119 but the track is 61/60. The car is actually 80 wide and I would love to see if it is possible.

Personally it would be the coolest coffee car (my definition - a car the looks better getting coffee than driving fast).

How many shops do this? I have the perfect donor car. I would love to swap out a P100D chassis and modernize a 60s muscle car.
I am working with some partners to develop tesla conversions, it's early, but we have the right people to make it happen, even talking about developing improvements on stock tesla components. I'm relatively new here, trying to educate myself on the brand and the issues that require technology or service, that arent being dealt with by tesla.

The car Harry & Meghan drove off in was a Jaguar E-type Electric conversion.

Jaguar’s E-type Zero is the most beautiful electric car yet.

Only £350k! ($460k)

I used to own a BMW 2002 that someday I would like to be able to convert another one into an electric car.

Ah, that brings back fond memories. Learned to drive on a 2002, stick. Metallic silver, moon roof, black leather interior, blaupunkt stereo. Begged my Mom to not trade it in, but let me buy it (over time) as my first car. She decided it wasnt for her after she got rear-ended (not much damage to car, but she got nasty whiplash). I'd probably buy the conversion..:)

About this time last year I considered an EV conversion before we bought the EV’s we have. Not even using Tesla parts, I found it’d cost about $20k just to get batteries and drive.... and I’d have a 20-40 year old car. I was considering old VW’s or a small pickup truck. It wasn’t practical... but now on the other hand, doing it to a muscle car of the 1960’s for the /fun/ of it... sure!

Reactions: dhrivnak
No shops on the east coast, I closed mine in CT from lack of interest, but am looking at doing tesla conversions, so this thread is interesting to me for sure coming from a classic car background.

There have been some great classic car conversions highlighted on the Fully Charged YouTube channel. I've seen a Beetle, 911, Range Rover. Guy uses Tesla batteries and tries to keep the classic experience throughout including the manual transmission. Looked like really nice work.
My last conversion was a VW cabrio with a 26kwh pack and AC motor. Driving that electric convertible was one of the best driving experiences I have ever had, it does 95 with the top down, and about 100 mile range if you are really nice to it, and its much faster than it ever was with the 2 liter ice.

Reactions: David99
I am working with some partners to develop tesla conversions, it's early, but we have the right people to make it happen, even talking about developing improvements on stock tesla components. I'm relatively new here, trying to educate myself on the brand and the issues that require technology or service, that arent being dealt with by tesla.
Some companies (especially those that put rag tops on this century cars) make their business making cars for OEMs. Might be more reasonable than Tesla who can't make enough skateboards for their own consumption. Try searching Magna as an example.

Some companies (especially those that put rag tops on this century cars) make their business making cars for OEMs. Might be more reasonable than Tesla who can't make enough skateboards for their own consumption. Try searching Magna as an example.
It is mainly the drive units I'm after, they are more power dense except for maybe remy motors, which GM uses in their 2 mode hybrids, but they need the reinheart controllers which are very expensive.

It is mainly the drive units I'm after, they are more power dense except for maybe remy motors, which GM uses in their 2 mode hybrids, but they need the reinheart controllers which are very expensive.
many, many electric motor manufacturers in the world AND Tesla is still production limited so I would not expect them to have extra motors to sell - salvage yards? EVwest and Jack Richard buy Tesla motors that way. But IF you want small reliable supply and warranty I'd still not try to depend on Tesla - they need a lot of motors for all the different vehicles Model S/X/3/Y/SEMI/pickup?