Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Classic "how bad is this [damage]?" post

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right side has a slight dent but overall it is just paint damage. It is all isolated to those two rocker panels. Really would prefer to not file a claim... Please dont ask how it happened 😢 thanks for looking guys

IMG_3792.jpg
IMG_3786.jpg
IMG_3790.jpeg
IMG_3791.jpg

I'd first look under the car to see if any supports have been torn off.
If not, I would take the part off, straighten it out, and then have it repainted.

In my small city there are one person businesses that will come to you and repaint. I paid $150 for just that sort of job last month. In my case, a small bump into the bumper cover caused the cover to dent in and be penetrated by the edge of the bumper. I took the plastic bumper off and with warm water got rid the the dent. Then I took care of the hole with a mesh, some epoxy, and then filler.

The end result was as good as new. I have no prior experience, and no one confuses me with a handy man. I'm pretty willing to try and fix a lot of things, but I draw the line at car painting. That takes good tools, experience, and skill. If you have a dent in metal, check into these itinerant tradespeople who specialize in dent repair. A fried who does mine is a wizard.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Upvote 0
I'd first look under the car to see if any supports have been torn off.
If not, I would take the part off, straighten it out, and then have it repainted.

In my small city there are one person businesses that will come to you and repaint. I paid $150 for just that sort of job last month. In my case, a small bump into the bumper cover caused the cover to dent in and be penetrated by the edge of the bumper. I took the plastic bumper off and with warm water got rid the the dent. Then I took care of the hole with a mesh, some epoxy, and then filler.

The end result was as good as new. I have no prior experience, and no one confuses me with a handy man.
When you say "take the part off", you mean the plastic panels on the bottom, right? (the actual rocker panels). thanks for the info. HOnestly mostly worried about the metal panels

Upvote 0
Both left and right sides? Sure you don’t have undercarriage damage? The rear wheels look pretty scraped up too (unless it’s prior damage).
All from the same thing. I guess I am *technically* not sure but eyeballing it, its just a lot of scratches. Definitely didn't lose any supports like was mentioned above. Drives great as ever. Soft sand was the culprit.

Reactions: Pseudofinn
Upvote 0
I can't find the actual figure right now, but I had a similar rocker panel dent that cost around $3k to fix. It was on Tesla's dime since it was remediation from a delivery flaw so I didn't pay for it myself. You can't really replace that panel and it's a fairly work-intensive repair.
RP09503379IMG_7083.JPG
RP09503370IMG_7082.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0