Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Classic Model S for Model 3? (and a bit of history)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit of history:
I've had my classic Model S 60 for almost four years now (VIN P33xxx) with a bit more than 100,000km. It was a great ride overall and a very practical one, to say the least (a sedan with 7 seats! It doesn't get better than that)
Of course, I've had my share of issues, with some were expected; but there is one that to me stands out the most, the high-voltage battery.

Issues so far:

1. Two Door handles
  2. Control arms and/or suspension assemblies from all sides throughout the years, including one just recently
  3. Steering Rack
  4. Drive Unit
  5. 4-Way Coolant Valve
  6. 12v Battery (more of a maintenance part as it was only replaced only).
About the high voltage battery:
  1. Excessive degradation. 335km when new; 2 weeks later (normal) 325-330km. Now, I'm lucky if I get 280km at 99%. I rarely charged beyond 80% during the first year or so. Now after this degradation, I charge to 90%
  2. My car wouldn't charge to 100%. It stops at 98 or 99%. Many say it's normal but this should not be the case when the battery is supposed to be balanced, I think. I say "I think" this because I tried all the scenarios for two years now without luck (from here and YouTube)
  3. My car died twice on me with range left. Two years ago when I had 3% left, and a few months ago with 6% left.

Now:
I'm seriously thinking of trading in my Model S for a Model 3. My car is out of the factory warranty, and I only got the 2-year extended warranty option (expires in a year or 20,000km). Given my HV battery inconvenience and the repairs I just had recently, I'm scared to keep the car beyond the extended warranty period.
I initially placed a Model 3 reservation for my wife, to get the standard battery option with the premium interior; however, given the situation with my car, I'm thinking of stealing her 1st-day reservation and trading-in my Model S for a fully-loaded Model 3 (minus the larger wheels and full self-driving).

On Saturday, I was lucky enough to see a Model 3 for the first time by coincidence at the Tesla Store in Montreal.
I was supercharging beside it, and I was comparing dimensions. The interior and the wheelbase dimension difference is negligible. I will be missing the two extra seats and the cargo space for sure, however.

What do you guys think?

Model%20S%20and%20Model%203.jpg

Model%203%20-%201.jpg

Model%203%20-%202.jpg

Model%203%20-%203.jpg

Model%203%20-%204.jpg

Model%203%20-%205.jpg

Model%203%20-%206.jpg

Model%203%20-%207.jpg

Video: http://lid.bz/Tesla/Model 3 in Montreal.mp4

Maybe you should get it check out at the service center

The original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles (200,000 km)

Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

You know Tesla's classic responses:
  1. Your battery is working as expected
  2. The range loss is close to similar VINs
  3. You didn't turn on "Range Mode," that's why your car died "with range left" <-- I gave them a hard time for this BS, which resulted in almost an hour call with a technician from the service center who admitted it was a software issue they cannot resolve!

I would say go for the 3 for yourself. If you're concerned about escalating costs with the S, the 3 may be worth it. You know what your needs are (room for passengers, storage, etc) and what you give up going to a smaller and cheaper car (along with cheaper maintenance I would hope). When my lease is up, I'll be up for the same decision - keep or move on. The issue for you is can you wait until the Model 3 comes to Canada? The other factor with Tesla is always "when's the next big update coming to the cars (hardware, not software). Somewhere along the line the S needs an overhaul as it's now about 6 years old and may benefit from revisions that are already included in the Model 3 that will make it more livable.

I would say go for the 3 for yourself. If you're concerned about escalating costs with the S, the 3 may be worth it. You know what your needs are (room for passengers, storage, etc) and what you give up going to a smaller and cheaper car (along with cheaper maintenance I would hope). When my lease is up, I'll be up for the same decision - keep or move on. The issue for you is can you wait until the Model 3 comes to Canada? The other factor with Tesla is always "when's the next big update coming to the cars (hardware, not software). Somewhere along the line the S needs an overhaul as it's now about 6 years old and may benefit from revisions that are already included in the Model 3 that will make it more livable.
I agree. Since you have a year left on your extended warranty you should be able to get your Model 3 before that expires. You will be getting an increase in range even if you stick with the regular battery and do not go with the extended battery option. And no worries about big repair bills. If you keep the Model S after the extended warranty dies, and you get a huge repair bill, you will want to kick your own behind down the street.