Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Classic Model S: Toy car?

Which option best describes your feeling WRT the toy car in your Classic Model S?

• Love it. I look at the toy car all the time to see brake light activity.

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • Meh. I wish is was optional or replaced with a more discreet indicator.

Votes: 59 60.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I use the car image ' all the time' to avoid regen brake lighting I'd really prefer a indicator vs full car
So I voted the first but really agree w/ the second mostly

I'm with you on this. An indicator light would be preferable to toy car and more in line with the "flat" UI. The toy car is a glaring skeuomorphic object in an otherwise minimalist design. It occupies far more space than is needed to convey a message. Also, the headlight blob? Yeah, we already have an indicator for that. The toy car is redundant.

Just a guess, but you likely don't drive much at night or if you do it's where there is mostly bright street lighting. Driving where it's dark, that big white blob (silver in my case) is really annoying.

I've got almost 68k miles on my Model S, so I drive quite a bit in all sorts of conditions (especially this time of year where it's getting dark before 6 p.m.). I guess I don't drive anywhere that it's pitch black outside very much, although on a recent road trip we did cross through an area that was very secluded and there were no lights at all. Didn't bother me then either. I do keep my display brightness pretty low (5 - 10%) when in night mode. Not sure what others have their display brightnesses set to. Also, I have the ambient lighting feature in my car. Not sure if that maybe makes a difference to explain why it doesn't bother me.

I've got almost 68k miles on my Model S, so I drive quite a bit in all sorts of conditions (especially this time of year where it's getting dark before 6 p.m.). I guess I don't drive anywhere that it's pitch black outside very much, although on a recent road trip we did cross through an area that was very secluded and there were no lights at all. Didn't bother me then either. I do keep my display brightness pretty low (5 - 10%) when in night mode. Not sure what others have their display brightnesses set to. Also, I have the ambient lighting feature in my car. Not sure if that maybe makes a difference to explain why it doesn't bother me.
I keep mine a zero in very dark locations and 5% in town. While it's no brighter than the speed number, it's far larger in area.

I voted love it because there was not an option for like it, which is truly how I feel about it. I do find the regen brake lights to be very helpful so that I can try to not make the people behind me crazy.
I think we cancelled each other out. I voted "Meh". If I could actually discern brake lights on it it would have swung my vote the other way, but it's practically impossible to tell the difference with a red toy car, at least on my old low-resolution instrument cluster.

Being able to see when my brake light is being displayed is awesome. It bothers me a lot that it's on so often, making me look like I don't know how to drive. This way I can learn how to minimize the brake light, while still driving smoothly.

Being able to see when my brake light is being displayed is awesome. It bothers me a lot that it's on so often, making me look like I don't know how to drive. This way I can learn how to minimize the brake light, while still driving smoothly.
I've watched an on my car the brake light comes on far less often than the cars around me. I just don't see the need for it, and certainly not the way it's implemented now.

Totally agree, if you want to see that. But (A) It should not be forced on everyone else that doesn't want/need that info, and (II) there are other ways to present that same information without a glaring, otherwise useless skeuomorphic toy car in the center of the display with glaring bright white headlights.

Wow, I wish I could vote in this poll, but without a "hate it, completely" option, the poll is significantly biased!

My attitude is far from "meh".

LOL. Tell that to GeekGirls. She essentially discredited my poll and the results, which I didn't take very kindly to, with this statement:

If the poll phrasing wasn't so inherently biased you might get some meaningful results... I'm amazed people are so up in arms about it.

Speaking of the results... 62% of owners are saying that Tesla needs to do something about the toy car! That's pretty darn significant, IMO, and I'll be looking forward to Tesla's response in 7.2.

Speaking of the results... 62% of owners are saying that Tesla needs to do something about the toy car! That's pretty darn significant, IMO, and I'll be looking forward to Tesla's response in 7.2.

Assuming a population size of ~100,000 and your sample size of 85, your margin of error is about 10%. So actually, the results could be roughly split down the middle or could be overwhelmingly in favor of the (somewhat biased, see my comment above) "meh" option. I wouldn't quite go as far as "pretty darn significant", though. I'd recommend a sample size of >500 (<5% margin of error) and more neutral option language.

If the poll phrasing wasn't so inherently biased you might get some meaningful results. Having the miniature vehicle in the instrument cluster doesn't bother me in the least. Having the brake lights present is valuable for newcomers who tend to think that regen doesn't activate the brake lights, and having familiar commonality with the AP vehicles makes enough sense for me. Obviously YMMV, but I'm amazed people are so up in arms about it.

Yeah, this x1000. The poll is phrased in such a way that most people will choose option two.

Option 1: The toy car is the best feature ever installed on any vehicle and I would sacrifice my first born before losing it.
Option 2: Yeah I guess it's ok or maybe not.

I never knew the toy car was so hated until it was mentioned in the 7.1 firmware thread. The internet has a keen way of informing you of things that you never knew you were supposed to be mad about. I am totally indifferent to it.

It is not biased. Pretty clear cut, concise, and fair. Folks who like it will vote one way while others won't. That is the intention of the poll. Don't like it? Create your own. But don't ridicule. Thanks.

No it really is. Maybe it wasn't intentional but it is.

Assuming a population size of ~100,000 and your sample size of 85, your margin of error is about 10%. So actually, the results could be roughly split down the middle or could be overwhelmingly in favor of the (somewhat biased, see my comment above) "meh" option. I wouldn't quite go as far as "pretty darn significant", though. I'd recommend a sample size of >500 (<5% margin of error) and more neutral option language.
Because this is a Classic poll, there aren't 100,000, 80K tops.

- - - Updated - - -

I never knew the toy car was so hated until it was mentioned in the 7.1 firmware thread. The internet has a keen way of informing you of things that you never knew you were supposed to be mad about. I am totally indifferent to it.
The toy car is just one of the many problems with 7.1's UI. It's minor when compared to the removal of elements, the low contrast safety issue, moving the turn signal and battery remaining indicators to harder to glance at positions (also safety items), and the cabin heating problem. However, it's easy to focus on. The best you can say is that the autopilot cars have an even worse UI.

No it really is. Maybe it wasn't intentional but it is.[/COLOR]

Disagree. Intention of the poll was to create two simple options. Thumbs up, thumbs down. For this instance, it didn't make sense to have 5 different options that ran the gamut. As Hank pointed out, I didn't create an option for "Hate it, worst feature ever." You either like it or you don't.

Assuming a population size of ~100,000 and your sample size of 85, your margin of error is about 10%. So actually, the results could be roughly split down the middle or could be overwhelmingly in favor of the (somewhat biased, see my comment above) "meh" option.

50% of owners dissatisfied with a change is still significant and merits a software change by Tesla. This isn't majority rules. We are talking about a feature that didn't used to exist and there's definitely been an outcry of complaints over it. I can't seem to recall the same occurring for other software features that have been introduced over the years.