Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Classic Model S: Toy car?

Which option best describes your feeling WRT the toy car in your Classic Model S?

• Love it. I look at the toy car all the time to see brake light activity.

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • Meh. I wish is was optional or replaced with a more discreet indicator.

Votes: 59 60.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to get a sense how many folks like the toy car on the IC, seeing as Tesla retained it in 7.1.

Borrowing Lump's photo:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 164
The only thing of value on the toy car is the regen brake lights on indication.

That's it.

The headlights on indication would or could be more useful if it differentiated between low and high beam.... since the high beam indicator is currently in a place where tall drivers can't see it tucked behind the steering wheel on the left.

But I would prefer to just have a blue light high beam symbol somewhere more centered on top row, rather than toy car headlights..

Every time I glance down my eyes are drawn to the big bright RED toy car that has no value, I simply want critical information displayed in the center of the IC not a useless graphic. This past week we finally had some downpours in Los Angeles that required some concentration while driving & I remember being distracted by the toy car before I could locate the battery level, I don't drive our Tesla daily & drive a number of different vehicles so maybe I just can't get used to the red toy car but it would be great if I could turn it off.

Its distracting!

Its almost impossible to see the regen brake lights on the toy car if you own a MC red, if a brake light indicator is the goal then place a small graphic in the top left next to the other light symbols.

Last edited:
If the poll phrasing wasn't so inherently biased you might get some meaningful results. Having the miniature vehicle in the instrument cluster doesn't bother me in the least. Having the brake lights present is valuable for newcomers who tend to think that regen doesn't activate the brake lights, and having familiar commonality with the AP vehicles makes enough sense for me. Obviously YMMV, but I'm amazed people are so up in arms about it.

If the poll phrasing wasn't so inherently biased you might get some meaningful results. Having the miniature vehicle in the instrument cluster doesn't bother me in the least. Having the brake lights present is valuable for newcomers who tend to think that regen doesn't activate the brake lights, and having familiar commonality with the AP vehicles makes enough sense for me. Obviously YMMV, but I'm amazed people are so up in arms about it.

+1 on this. Of course my car is Grey. Perhaps people with white/red cars are more annoyed by it. It doesn't bother me but I could live without it. If anything bothers me its the fake headlights as they're pretty bright.

If the poll phrasing wasn't so inherently biased you might get some meaningful results. Having the miniature vehicle in the instrument cluster doesn't bother me in the least.

It is not biased. Pretty clear cut, concise, and fair. Folks who like it will vote one way while others won't. That is the intention of the poll. Don't like it? Create your own. But don't ridicule. Thanks.

I would actually like the image if I could choose a different stock color rather than mine (white). Ocean blue would be neat! And much easier then to see the light status indicators.

I don't remember a regen light indicator being on anyone's wish list, many of us have owned the car for more then a week & know tailgaters can be annoyed by our one pedal increased brake lights, replacing the battery level with a bright red toy car is laughable.

When beta leaks surfaced of the toy car, the community voiced their displeasure, Elon went on twitter & asked for feedback, Elon promised a overhaul with 7.1, I am not surprised nothing came of it...I just want the option to turn off the RED useless gimick.

I would actually like the image if I could choose a different stock color rather than mine (white). Ocean blue would be neat! And much easier then to see the light status indicators.

Yeah, even on silver it is difficult to distinguish when taillights on vs off. I have to stare at it for a couple seconds and cycle the brake pedal to remind myself (most times I just ignore it).

The big problem is that if you have a light coloured car, it ruins your night vision. It'a also requires taking your eyes off the road for a long period of time. Just another way in which the V7 UI is unsafe. I don't really get why anyone wants to see whether the brake lights are on anyway, they work better than in an ICE to start with, as a few glances in the camera at night will show.

It is not biased. Pretty clear cut, concise, and fair. Folks who like it will vote one way while others won't. That is the intention of the poll. Don't like it? Create your own. But don't ridicule. Thanks.

I actually had the same thought. One key issue is that the additional detail in the first poll option limits its applicability, whereas the second one is general.

These two options on their own would be reasonably unbiased (although it's still easier to be noncommittal and pick the latter):
- "Love it"
- "Meh"

However, with the full poll options:
1. In order to select "Love it", you also have to agree with the statement "I look at the toy car all the time to see brake light activity", which may or may not be accurate.
2. In order to select "Meh", you can either agree with "I wish it was optional" OR "I wish it were replaced with a more discreet indicator".

#2 accounts for multiple broad states whereas #1 accounts for a single, much more specific state. Hence, the inherent bias in the poll options.

Not able to vote as the poll is missing option 3: Hate it.

Its not providing valuable information, is distracting, ruins night vision, displaces more important stuff.

Last edited:

+1...I voted love it even though I think that expression is a bit over the top about my feeling for it. I can't believe people are so up in arms about it.

I voted love it because there was not an option for like it, which is truly how I feel about it. I do find the regen brake lights to be very helpful so that I can try to not make the people behind me crazy.

Same here. I don't love it but it doesn't bother me at all and I don't mind it being there. It actually helped me figure out that the brake switch needed adjustment because my brake lights were not turning on with light pressure to the brake pedal. Wouldn't have figured that out if it weren't for the toy car.

- - - Updated - - -

Your opinion would likely be different if your car wasn't black.

My car is white and I don't mind it FWIW.